Solar system wiring

Old 01-25-16, 04:47 AM
Solar system wiring

Hello-

Thanks for reading this. I am trying to determine the wire type to use between my combiner boxes and my power center. Both are inside my garage.

I'd like to know if I can use 6/2 w/ground Romex. The wires need to carry about 50 amps each (10A x 1.25 x 1.25, x 3 combined in combiner box). I'm near Newburgh, NY, which has an ambient temp. correction factor of .96, as best as I can determine.

I'm treating Romex as the 60 degree C column in the NEC table for Temperature Rating of Conductor, which gives me 55A for 6awg.

Am I off base, or can I use 6-2 Romex? If I should use something else, what would that be? THHN? Thank you very much for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-16, 06:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
#6 Romex can be used as long as the breaker or fuse is 60A or less, it is not in an area subject to physical damage, is not exposed to weather, and is properly stapled and supported.

Other options would be THHN in conduit, metallic cable (MC or AC), or a service cable like SER.

Old 01-25-16, 12:06 PM
Thank you!!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is just what I wanted to know - about the Romex, and about other options. Thank you!

Old 01-25-16, 12:42 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply! You have answered both my question about the Romex, and about alternatives. Thank you!