Fishing NMB electrical wire between joists

Old 01-26-16, 11:36 AM
Fishing NMB electrical wire between joists

Hey, first time posting here.

I am in the process of a home theater project, and want to install an outlet for a projector. There is a part of my ceiling that is lower than the rest and because of that there are two layers of joists as shown in the pic I took from an access panel. My question is, can i fish non-metallic sheathed wire through the gap or does it need to be either fastened or fed through holes in the joists? Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-16, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fished cables do not need to be secured .

Old 01-26-16, 12:00 PM
Ah good, that will make this job a whole lot easier. Thanks for the reply

Old 01-26-16, 04:07 PM
Cable Routing

My question is, can i fish non-metallic sheathed wire through the gap or does it need to be either fastened or fed through holes in the joists? Thanks
The cable needs to be fed through the holes in the joists.

Old 01-26-16, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see no reason that it cannot go between the two levels of framing.

Old 01-26-16, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the NEC states that the cable must be secured and specifically states that cables going through a hole in a structural member is considered as being secured. That cable is going through a very wide slot and is NOT secured, in my opinion. If it is accessible then it should be secured. If it is not accessible it does not need to be secured. Definitely a judgement call.

Old 01-27-16, 06:23 AM
As long as there is no suspended ceiling on the other side it's fine,no need to secure.

Old 01-31-16, 07:20 AM
So I looked in NEC 334.30 Section B and found this:

"334.30 Securing and Supporting Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4 1⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box. junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be stapled on edge. Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway.

(A) Horizontal Runs Through Holes and Notches. In other than vertical runs, cables installed in accordance with 300.4 shall be considered to be supported and secured where such support does not exceed 1.4-m (4 1⁄2-ft) intervals and the nonmetallic-sheathed cable is securely fastened in place by an approved means within 300 mm (12 in.) of each box, cabinet, conduit body, or other nonmetallicsheathed cable termination.

FPN: See 314.17(C) for support where nonmetallic boxes are used

(B) Unsupported Cables. Nonmetallic-sheathed cable shall be permitted to be unsupported where the cable:

(1) Is fished between access points through concealed spaces in finished buildings or structures and supporting is impracticable.

(2) Is not more than 1.4 m (4 1 ⁄2 ft) from the last point of cable support to the point of connection to a luminaire or other piece of electrical equipment and the cable and point of connection are within an accessible ceiling"

So yes, as you can see in blue, it is permitted if the space is concealed and you cant access the space to add support.

Old 01-31-16, 07:24 AM
So technically yes, I should be allowed to fish that wire through the space as the only place I can access the area from is where I took the picture.