Electrical Lighting Question

Old 01-26-16, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical Lighting Question

Hi everyone, I've got a little project coming up and redoing my sons bedroom and our bedrooms had one outlet in each room that ran off the switch and there were no ceiling fixtures so my parents had a guy come in and add ceiling fixtures but now that one outlet doesn't supply power to anything now i'd like to use that outlet somehow if I can. I'll be calling an electrician anyway but just wanted to know whats going on before hand.

Any help

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-16, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First, can I politely request a little more punctuation in your text to make it easier to read?

Second, if you turn the circuit breaker off and pull the receptacle out of the wall, I suspect you will find the tab connecting the two halves of it to be broken. If so, simply replacing the receptacle with a new one where the tab would still be intact should solve the problem.

Old 01-31-16, 04:11 PM
So sorry about the punctuation, i'll try and correct myself as much as possible.

Ok, thanks for the reply Stickshift, but if I were to just replace the receptacle that would mean that if I hook up lets say an alarm clock to that outlet, everytime i'd switch on and off the ceiling light the alarm clock would have to be reset everytime. I thought I may need to add another outlet box for sure.

Old 01-31-16, 04:41 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Why would you not first call back the person that did the rewiring?

Old 01-31-16, 04:46 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tell us all the wires in the receptacle box that doesn't work and how they are connected and all the wires in the switch box and how they are connected.

If he had done this correctly at least one or both plugins of the receptacle would have been always hot. (Optional if one are both plug ins are always hot but either way is possible.) The answers to the above questions will tell us if power came in a the receptacle or switch. From that we can tell you how it should have been wired.

Old 01-31-16, 05:37 PM
joecaption

Why would you not first call back the person that did the rewiring?
We have tried to contact him and he either changed his number or is MIA so we can't get help from him.

ray2047

Tell us all the wires in the receptacle box that doesn't work and how they are connected and all the wires in the switch box and how they are connected.
I'm not at the house but I will get back to you guys with the wire info, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-31-16 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added quote tags.