Exposed ground wire in wall

Old 01-29-16, 02:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exposed ground wire in wall

Hi folks,

I just removed one of those external 220/240V receptacle blocks for an electric range and rewired it into a wall outlet. In order to get everything to bend and fit into the new configuration, I had to strip the Romex sheathing back a bit so that the three insulated, current-carrying wires as well as the uninsulated ground wire are exposed within the drywall for about an inch or two before going into a plastic outlet box. The wall is between the kitchen and garage and has blow-in insulation packed in around the entire thing. I assume the insulated wires should be fine, but do I need to worry about that exposed ground wire starting a fire or anything? It shouldn't be carrying a current so I wouldn't think so, but some reassurance would be good. Aluminum wiring if that matters.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-16, 02:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The sheath or jacket needs to extend at least 1/4" into the box. There should have been no need to strip it past the box.

Old 01-29-16, 08:51 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you cannot press all the wires and the device (receptacle) back into the box without the outer insulation of the cable being exposed, you have too small a box installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: