Half Switched Outlet - Want to add Light

Old 02-01-16, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half Switched Outlet - Want to add Light

Hi All,

I have a half switched outlet in my den. I want to make the outlet always hot and add a light to be controlled by the existing switch. I need to piggyback off the outlet for the light. Looks like the power runs to the swtich and their are four wires instead of three. Can this be done?

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-16, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Yes. You replace the outlet with a new one that has the tabs tying the two receptacles together intact. You would take the two wires that went to the switched part of the outlet and run those to your light (along with ground).

You may need to replace the box with a larger remodel type box to accommodate the additional cable and wire nuts.

Old 02-01-16, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

Old 02-01-16, 09:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would run the light from the switch not the receptacle because of fewer wires and shorter distance to fish.
Looks like the power runs to the swtich and their are four wires instead of three.
Do you mean a 3-conductor cable, white black, red or two 2-conductor cables, black and white. (Grounds aren't counted when referring to the number of wires.) If you meant a 3-conductor cable then power does not come in at the switch unless there is a second cable you forgot to mention.

Old 02-02-16, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
Does the power come into the switch and then to the receptacle or from the receptacle to the switch ?