Using 3-wire to Add an Additional Light?

Old 02-03-16, 08:17 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Using 3-wire to Add an Additional Light?

There is a ceiling fan on my back porch. It was wired using 3-wire cable to 2 switches inside the house (one for the fan, one for the fan light).

The builder did not put in a light kit for this fan, thus one of the switches is unused. I don't need a light kit anyway, so here's what I'm thinking...can I tap into the unused wire inside the fan box and continue the run of this cable to a new j-box? My backyard could use a flood light and this would be an easy way to add one with a dedicated switch.

Would this be considered an "acceptable practice" for using an otherwise unused switch?

Old 02-03-16, 08:22 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yes it sounds like this is OK. If you only want just a light in the new location, you only need 12-2 or 14-2 cable from the existing fan box to the new location; however XX-3 cable is not wrong, just overkill. Match the gauge of the existing cable #14 or #12.

Old 02-05-16, 10:51 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Yes the plan was to match up the existing 12-gauge cable and continue the run to the new box with 2-wire.

Wanted to run the idea by the group just to make sure that practice didn't throw up any red flags.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: