Exterior sump pump wiring

Old 02-04-16, 04:19 PM
Exterior sump pump wiring

Time to tap the brain trust here: I have an exterior sump pump pit for the two sump pumps (plus backup) that handle my foundation drains (no sewer and daylight is 10 feet up). It's 24" in diameter and over 10' deep.

Since the cords on the pumps don't even reach to the top of the sump, I remove the plug on the end of the cord, extend it a couple feet with SJOOW cable, and install watertight plugs that plug into mating watertight cord mounted receptacles. All of this is inside the sump. From there, SJOOW cable runs through PVC conduit from the sump to the inside of my basement. On the ends are standard AC Plugs that plug into alarmed GFCI outlets. That's the part I'm unsure about. Essentially have heavy duty extension cords running from the inside to the outside. They are only 6' long, tops.

I'm about to pull a permit for some other electrical work right next to this stuff, and I don't want to get any grief from the inspector if the above arrangement isn't OK, code-wise.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-16, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
It's almost impossible to install a receptacle in a pit like that. They do make pumps that come with long cords. I installed one recently for a customer.

Technically it is against code to splice a power cord like that. I see no issue running it thru PVC as your are using it for a sleeve in this application.

Unless it's a blatant code violation.... the inspector is only there to inspect that for which you file for.

Old 02-04-16, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The flexible cord is not listed for in wall or through wall use. Can you install a WP receptacle outside?

Old 02-04-16, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't mount a receptacle in a pit like that. Way to much moisture.

Old 02-04-16, 06:46 PM
Don't really want to mount a recep inside the pit; there's not really a lot of room with all the piping, and as Pete said, there is about 100% humidity all the time. I could mount a box with in-use cover on the side of the house a few feet away and just make the cords even longer, but then they will be laying on the ground, and I don't think that's too great either.

I guess I'll take my chances and if he gripes, I'll see how he thinks it should be done...

Pete, I know they make pumps with longer cords, but I've standardized on these Zoellers (I have 4 all together, the two outside, a lift pump at outlet of the septic, and an inside sump)and I have spare switches and spare units, etc, etc. So I compromise.

Old 02-05-16, 11:54 AM
Have an authorized tech open the pump and connect a longer cord and reseal the whole deal.