Deburring EMT conduits necessary?

Old 02-10-16, 05:48 AM
Deburring EMT conduits necessary?

If you cut EMT conduits with a tubing cutter, do you debur or ream the inside of the cut tubing with one of these to avoid the sharp edge from nipping on the conductor insulation?

If you put a connector on the conduit, such as a set screw or compression connector, does the connector itself "hide" the sharp cut edge with the connector's internal "lip" to make deburring unnecessary?

and if is indeed necessary to debur or ream, is there a way to do it if you have conductors coming out of the tubing? I have a situation where I was in the attic, and I have a EMT run from point A to point B, about 40' apart. I needed to introduced a junction box in between to split off a circuit. I used a tubing cutter to make two cuts about 12" apart. Then I cut the 4 conductors inside. Sliding out the 12" short piece, now I have one end with 12" of conductor sticking out to make the splice. The other end the conductors are flushed with the cut tubing and will be replaced all the way to a switch box. So in this case, how would I ream the cut end with 12" of conductors exposed if it is not easy to pull 12" of the conductor back from the other end?

Attached Images  

Last edited by MiamiCuse; 02-10-16 at 06:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-16, 07:59 AM
Usually the reaming is done before the wires are in the pipe. In your case I would use a file and wrap some tape around the wires so you don't damage them while filing. I have a pretty good reamer from Klein tools that knocks down the burrs. A hack saw will actually leave a better edge than a pipe cutter but the pipe still needs de-burring no matter what you cut it with.

Old 02-10-16, 08:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In a pinch you can deburr with a flat screwdriver blade or a pocket knife. Your tubing cutter might even have a little triangle shaped deburring blade you can fold out. The conduit fittings do not protect the conductors from burrs inside the pipe.

Old 02-10-16, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
A tubing cutter should be a last resort when cutting conduit as it leaves a very large burr on the inside and reduces the inside diameter of the pipe. Conduit is required to be a complete assembly before the wires are installed, but I assume this is an existing installation so options are limited.

In that situation I have a deburring tool like this: Hand Deburring Tool Sets | MSCDirect.com which does a pretty good job.

Old 02-13-16, 01:24 PM
Could I use those red color plastic collars that you typically use with MC cables and insert them into the freshly cut EMT tubing to protect the conductors? Would that break the ground connectivity? It should as metal to metal contact is still there between conduit and connectors right?

Old 02-13-16, 01:58 PM
EMT is a maximum of ten feet long, I would look at removing the entire piece.

Old 02-13-16, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Could I use those red color plastic collars that you typically use with MC cables and insert them into the freshly cut EMT tubing to protect the conductors?
I would say no. Leaving that in the conduit is not a good idea IMO. You could use an anti short bushing to protect the wires while you are removing the burr though.

Old 02-14-16, 06:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The bushing is not going to stay in place if anyone tries to pull another conductor in.