How can I run power to kennel?

Old 02-14-16, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I run power to kennel?

Members location is the UK.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so bare with me.

I would like to run some power out to the dogs kennel, I only want to run 2 heat lamps (Halogen bulbs basically) that's on a thermostat, so when the temperature drops below 10degrees it kicks in.

Now the problem is that I have no room left on my consumer unit and I don't really want to buy another consumer unit just for the sake of this circuit. Is there anyway around this?

Distance from consumer unit to kennel is roughly 18metres.

Regards
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-16, 11:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This is primarily a North American forum. I have never heard the term "consumer unit". My best guess it is what we call a breaker panel or fuse box. Sorry to tell you but I doubt anyone on the forums knows anything about breaker panels in the UK. In the U.S. depending on brand you can sometimes swap out one full size breaker for two half size breakers but whether that is true for UK breaker boxes I can't say.

Old 02-15-16, 08:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
so bare with me
But we've only just met. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

...kennel...
FYI, Consumer unit (UK) = breaker panel (US)

A couple halogen lamps are not large enough draw to require a dedicated circuit.

Is the kennel attached to the main building or is it a separate structure? Sight unseen, I'd be inclined to make this as a portable device instead of a hardwired circuit. You could get a heavy-duty extension cord and some appropriately rated ceramic lamp holders, then this whole heater assembly could be plugged in to a standard receptacle. It makes it easier for disconnecting power to clean the kennel and also could be easily disconnected in the summer.

No matter what you would want to ensure that the receptacle powering this circuit is protected by an anti-shock device. In the US this is called GFCI -- I know there's an equivalent in the UK, but can't recall the name. This will protect both you and the dogs.

Old 02-15-16, 10:03 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I would like to run some power out to the dogs kennel, I only want to run 2 heat lamps (Halogen bulbs basically) that's on a thermostat, so when the temperature drops below 10degrees it kicks in.
I know someone who did this, but when it was cold enough for the lights to come on, the dog wouldn't go in his house because it was too bright.

Old 02-15-16, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I really dislike halogen lights and they would be to bright. Milk house heaters are dngerous. I would do something like this and sandwich it between 2 sheets of cement board. Run it off of a heavy extension cord and be careful that the dog cannot chew on it anywhere.

Amazon.com : K&H Manufacturing Lectro-Kennel Heated Pad with FREE Cover Large 22.5" x 28.5" : Pet Beds : Pet Supplies