AFCI breaker trips when the weather changes?

Old 02-16-16, 02:19 AM
AFCI breaker trips when the weather changes?

My main electrical panel and some circuits were updated in 2011, and the two upstairs bedrooms were put on an AFCI breaker to comply with code. Since then the AFCI breaker trips when there are large temperature changes. It has no issues all summer or during the coldest part of winter, but trips occasionally as the temperature rises or falls in spring and fall, or if we have unseasonably warm periods temporarily in winter. The main panel is an outside panel since the electrician said the only inside option was in my bedroom.

I had an electrician come out to look at the circuit and everything is hooked up properly. He couldn't find any issues. He just told me that if it keeps up I should replace the breaker to see if that helps.

Does anyone have ideas on why the breaker would trip? My next step is to replace the breaker, but I wanted to see if there could be another cause that I've overlooked.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-16, 05:56 AM
What exactly is on the circuit?

Old 02-16-16, 06:06 AM
Circuit contents

The electrician wired in:

2 lighted ceiling fans
3 smoke detectors
8 outlets

I asked specifically if this was too much for one circuit and he said it was fine

When the circuit trips I am usually only running an alarm clock, my phone charger, and the smoke detectors. There are other objects like my sewing machine and bedside lamp that are plugged in, but not running.

Old 02-16-16, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The weather factor screams condensation in a junction box to me -- especially if any of those boxes penetrate into an unconditioned attic or are in a poorly insulated wall. For example was all the attic insulation put back in place after the electrician finished the wiring? If there's a vapor barrier was it repaired or sealed with caulking or foam? Does the wiring run in a conduit between exterior and interior spaces?

Old 02-16-16, 05:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had cold weather open connections that would be fine when it was warmer and the wires had not contracted from the cold.