Arc Fault Issues

Old 02-18-16, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arc Fault Issues

The other night, while the wife was taking a shower, the AFCI breaker for the bedroom/bath lighting circuit tripped. Went to reset it, and it would sometimes stay on for a few seconds or a minute, then trip again while other times it would trip immediately.

Switched it with an AFCI breaker from another room and all was fine so I assumed I had a bad breaker.

I purchased a new breaker and installed it Tuesday afternoon, and all was good Tuesday night, then last night, it tripped again after she got out of the shower. Went and reset it and proceeded to take a shower myself and it hasn't tripped again...

We have lived in the house for over a year prior to this with no issues. The only recent changes are that I replaced the bathroom exhaust fan, and installed a timer switch for the exhaust fan which were both done a few weeks ago. So we went over 2 weeks with no issues but are now seeing tripping.

I have not had time to re-check the wiring yet but plan on doing that tonight, but if those were the issues, wouldn't the tripping have occurred right off, not 2 weeks later?

The common denominator here seems to be the shower/moisture, but like I said, we went 2 weeks without issues.

Any other ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks

Last edited by NorthMaine; 02-18-16 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-16, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it continues to trip, try disconnecting the new timer and fan for a few days. Or even just try leaving the fan off for a couple of showers. That will give some clues.

Old 02-18-16, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the tip. It may help isolate the issue if it continues.

Old 02-18-16, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The timer could be it, but moisture inside the fan is a likely culprit. Is the venting and insulating around the fan all correct? It might help to re-orient any wire nuts in that box to point up like hats instead of down like bowls. That way if any condensation does form on or around the wires it will dip away from the connections.

Old 02-18-16, 09:11 AM
The joist bay the fan is in is insulated and vented correctly.

If it continues to occur I will be taking a look at the wiring of the timer and fan for sure.

Old 02-19-16, 06:16 AM
4 showers yesterday and no tripping...