Lights on electric eye

Old 02-20-16, 06:10 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lights on electric eye

I have 4 outside lights operating off a electric eye (photo cell). Power comes into the photocell then out to each light in a series. If I want the first 2 lights in the series to operate all night but want the other 2 operational only when I turn them on, can I put a switch to operate the last 2 lights or do I have to run another wire? If it can be done, wiring instructions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-20-16, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
You would need an additional wire from the switch to the last two lights.

Old 02-21-16, 12:20 PM
F
Pete,
Thanks for your reply, but still confused. Does the wire have to come direct from the power source without going thru the electric eye? The distance to the junction box would require about 50 ft of wire. I was thinking I could wire the first two lights up as normal , then before I wire the third light I could put a switch, then pigtail to the 3rd and 4th lights. With switch on, all lights would work thru the electric eye, but if switch is off, only the first 2 lights would be on. You can tell I am not an electrician If I have to run a wire all the way from the junction box, I may just forget it and have all lights on all night, which will give me too much light unless I have guests over and will be using the area, then I need the extra lighting. Sorry for maybe confusing the issue but any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-21-16, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
I could put a switch, then pigtail to the 3rd and 4th lights. With switch on, all lights would work thru the electric eye, but if switch is off, only the first 2 lights would be on.
That would work and not require any rewiring..... just the addition of a switch but is that really what you want ?

You have four outside lights illuminating an area. Two lights on normally via the photocell with addition of the two additional lights when needed sounds like a good plan.

Old 02-21-16, 07:11 PM
F
You described it exactly the way I want the lights to operate. I am going to hook them up in the next few days and will let you know if they work as planned. Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-23-16, 05:34 AM
R
A simple solution to see if you will like your new solution would just be to just buy a couple of the switches that screw into the actual light bulb socket and givse you a pull chain. Then you wouldnt have to rewire anything and gives you more control although it may be too much work to go around and pull each one. Just a thought.

Old 02-23-16, 06:16 AM
Received 87 Votes on 82 Posts
Do you have a switch there now or just the photo cell? If yo have a switch there now why not switch the photo cell to a motion senser, when you need all the lights on you switch the current switch off and on and the lights remain on until you switch it"

Last edited by Geochurchi; 02-23-16 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 11:12 AM
Received 87 Votes on 82 Posts
A motion sensor similar to this might work for you.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...2005EN-ins.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: