New fixture, old wiring

Old 02-21-16, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New fixture, old wiring

Hello,
I live in a house that is a hodge-podge of various wiring, everything from knob and tube to modern NMD-90 wiring. We have just re-done the living room, and one of the things to go was an old fluorescent tube light fixture. They had three of them chained together, and then plugged into an outlet that is tied into the living room light switch.

I have found a replacement fixture that I like, but it says that it must be used with at least 75 C wiring, and I have found that the plug is supplied with 60 C wiring (NMD-3). From what googling I have done, it seems that as long as the wiring directly around the light fixture is rated properly, it doesn't matter if the rest of the circuit is under-rated. Does this mean that it would be safe to install the fixture as long as I have adequate wiring from the plug to the fixture?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-16, 11:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
It sounds like the fixture does not come with a cord and plug and you intend to add one. If the fixture does not come with a cord then you shouldn't add one. National code says only approved fixtures should be used. Adding a cord negates the UL or other agency rating of the fixture.

You need to hard wire the fixture using 90° rated cable. That cable can come from 60° rated cable if the 60°cable has a ground. Ungrounded cable though can not be extended so you may need to run from the panel.

Old 02-22-16, 08:19 AM
Thanks, I was planning on adding a plug.

As an alternative, would it be acceptable to replace the outlet with a junction box? Yes, the 60 C wiring is grounded, and we don't really use the outlet for anything else, but there is an exterior outlet that was piggybacked off of this one.

Old 02-22-16, 09:08 AM
would it be acceptable to replace the outlet with a junction box?
Why not just leave the receptacle, make it always hot (usually easy to do) and run the light from either the receptacle or switch (which ever is easier). The code has a rule that basically you need a receptacle every 12 feet per wall. Removing the receptacle might be a code violation.

Old 02-22-16, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your help, I seem to have it sorted. I ended up finding a utility light that comes with a plug and isn't too ugly, so all I need now is some paint-able conduit to hide the wires.

Old 02-22-16, 02:02 PM
Use Wiremold for cords. Example: http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-C10-C.../dp/B000BVXW08