Upgrading electrical in barn/shop

Old 02-29-16, 04:57 PM
Oh ok, I understand now, that makes sense, the only 240 I've ever wired was for a stove so I was a bit confused about the use of 2 wired opposed to 3.
So a 50A circuit for a welder/compressor would be a 50A 2pole breaker, 6-2 wire and a NEMA 6-50 3 prong recepticle?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-16, 05:09 PM
Be mindful that NEMA plugs and outlets have a HP rating of around 3HP and compressors with motors over 3HP should be hardwired to be in compliance with the NEC.

Old 02-29-16, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
6-2 wire and a NEMA 6-50 3 prong recepticle
Yes. .

Old 02-29-16, 06:18 PM
Oh ok, I believe my compressor will be under 3hp but if it isn't I will make sure I hardwire it

Old 03-01-16, 04:48 AM
Ok, so at the point I'm at now I have the new panel mounted in the barn.
Next step is to drive my ground rod and get it hooked up to the panel. Ground rod wire goes directly do the ground bar correct?
Also when I go to run the feeder cable into the new panel I just want to clarify the hook-up. The red and black hots will go to the main shutoff breaker of the panel the white neutral will hook to the ground bar which has bonding screw/strap removed, and the ground wire will go to the ground bar with the ground from the rod? I think I got it all bit please do correct me if I've got something wrong.

Old 03-01-16, 07:15 AM
You terminology is off a bit. The isolated bar for the neutrals is now referred to as the neutral bar not ground bar. You are good to go. Just remember all circuit grounds now go to just the ground bar and all neutrals just go to the isolated neutral bar. Oh... and there should be 2 ground rods 6 ft apart from each other, since you just said rod, as in one.

Old 03-01-16, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Ground rod wire goes directly do the ground bar correct?
Yes, along with all branch circuit grounds.
the white neutral will hook to the ground bar which has bonding screw/strap removed
As Pattenp wrote that is the neutral bar. It is never referred to as a ground bar regardless of if the panel is a main panel or subpanel.

Old 03-01-16, 08:44 AM
I apologize for my terminology, so the "neutral bar" is now reffered to as "isolated ground bar"?
No I didn't know I needed two, thought I just needed 1 8ft rod with #6 copper wire from the rod to the panel. That's what someone else here had told me so that's what I was going off of. So I should get another and put it 6 ft from the other one and run a wire from each rod up to the panel?

Old 03-01-16, 08:47 AM
I'm sorry I just re read what I wrote and that was a typo on my part, I meant to say neutral bar not ground bar.

So ground to ground bar and white neutral to the insolated neutral bar, got it.

Old 03-01-16, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
No worry about typo. Just wanted to make sure that was what it was. Sounds like your good to go.

Old 03-02-16, 04:24 AM
Awesome, thank you for all your help so far.
Another question I was wondering about just yesterday pertains to wiring lights.
So I have 5 stalls down each side of my barn and as the posts go post 1 at the ends, post 2 splits stall 1 & 2 post 3 splits stall 3 & 4 and so on, now when I wire the lights I would like to mount them on the back side of these vertical posts but thought it would be nice if I could utilize two lights on one switch that are on that stall so for stall 1 the switch would control post 1&2 lights, the switch for stall 2 would control post 2&3 light and so on so the light on post number 2 would be controlled by both stall 1&2 switches and so on down the line. Is this wiring configuration something that is possible or would this be way more complicated that it's worth?

Old 03-02-16, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of a simple way to wire the lights that way.

Old 03-02-16, 07:53 AM
I agree with pcboss, no simple way.

It's possible, but I don't know whether it would be code compliant. It would involve relays providing multiple power paths to intermediate lights which could be dangerous to anyone working on a light fixture.

Old 03-02-16, 11:34 AM
Oh ok, I understand no big deal was just curious but didn't know enough to know if it would work and/or be safe. Thank you for your input

Old 03-02-16, 03:56 PM
You could acomplish this by using home automation switch such as Insteon. It can be a little complicated to program each switches, but save in wiring.

If it is not too much of trouble, I'd just pull wire. Wiring inside barn should be fairly easy since it will be all open.