Wiring an attic for lights

Old 04-12-01, 11:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I am installing lights in my attic. I have chosen a 20-amp circuit to extend from a downstairs bedroom. I intend on running cable (12/2) from this lone outlet up into the attic. This circuit will include a GFCI-outlet and a 20A single-pole switch, then the light fixtures (3 of them). Because of a bad roof and the potential of moisture, I have chosen to protect the circuit with GFCI outlet AND use PVC conduit and boxes. I am aware that this is an over-kill, but it's piece of mind. Here are my questions:
1. The outdoor lights and cover plate that I am looking at, are cast aluminum. Can I attach these two components directly to the (plastic) PVC j-box that is accepting the cable (provided they all fit)?
2. The wires that come from these lights (the leads) are 16-gage, my cable is 12-gage, can I simply wire-nut these two different gages together?
3. The lights come with limited instructions and only say "150 Watt" on the socket. Should I have a concern with wiring these to a 20-amp circuit?
I guess, intuitively, I am missing something here. What do I need to know about the lighting fixtures to make this connection a safe and efficient one?

Old 04-12-01, 01:19 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1. The outdoor lights and cover plate that I am looking at, are cast aluminum. Can I attach these two components directly to the (plastic) PVC j-box that is accepting the cable (provided they all fit)?

Yes. It is usually better to run individual strands of wire rather than Romex when running through conduit. The issue is heat. If you do run Romex through conduit, make sure the conduit is big enough to give the Romex a feeling of deluxe accommodations.

2. The wires that come from these lights (the leads) are 16-gauge, my cable is 12-gauge, can I simply wire-nut these two different gauges together?

Yes.

3. The lights come with limited instructions and only say "150 Watt" on the socket. Should I have a concern with wiring these to a 20-amp circuit?

No. However, you should be concerned with overloading this circuit. You need to add up the wattage of everything that could be connected to, or energized, on this circuit.

Have fun. Be safe.

Old 04-16-01, 05:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help
-lu

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: