Adding subpanel to new building

Old 02-26-16, 09:07 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Adding subpanel to new building

This many be long and rambling, but humor the new kid on the block, please.

We have a 12x20 building at our place mid-way between our home and barn that my wife and I are going to turn into an office for her, and also as a guest "cabin" for when we have company. Our house and barn have 200 amp service on both, and my question is if I add a tankless water heater, air conditioner, heater, lights, etc in the cabin, at peak operation this will likely pull more than 100 amps so what is the best way to proceed with wiring it without putting strain on either the house or the barn? I don't want to be welding in my shop or have the water heater running there when the one in the cabin kicks in and burn something up, or down.

Any advice will be most appreciated... I'm a farmer and a schoolteacher trying to find a safe way forward. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-16, 09:15 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The kicker will be the size of the tankless water heater. We'll need to know the size of that unit as that is by far this biggest power hog.

How far is the cabin from each building?

As long as you wire up the breakers properly you won't burn anything up. Trip some breakers maybe, but shouldn't be any damage.

Does the barn have any electrical loads other than lights and occasional tools?

Old 02-26-16, 11:44 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's within 30' from each breaker- one on the house, one on the barn. To supply water for the shower when it runs, I'm looking at a 27 kW tankless water heater. I just want enough juice so that I don't trip breakers, and setting another individual service panel from my power pole is within reason if need be.

Old 02-26-16, 02:01 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Hookup on a tankless of that size isn't going to be cheap. You'll have to extend the full 200A service from one of the buildings (or drop a new 200A service from the pole).

Some other options -- what about running an insulated hot water line from the house along with the cold water line? The 30' distance isn't too bad. You could supplement with a very small tank heater (~10 gallon) for the handwashing sink.

Old 02-27-16, 12:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 79 Posts
One shower required a 27 kw heater?. You are only flowing 2.5 gpm. Seems excessive.

Old 02-27-16, 06:07 PM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I'm looking at a 27 kW tankless water heater
I think I'd just use a tank type water heater.