Running string of lights on battery power

Old 02-27-16, 10:40 AM
Running string of lights on battery power

Hello everyone!

I have a string of A/C lights that I would like to set up in a park. I only need them lit for 30min, but there is no power outlets I can use nearby. Can someone suggest a good method for using a battery pack or mini electric generator?

Specs:
One string of 25 bulbs in series
Power (Strand): 130 Volt, 1.35 Amps, 175 Watts

If you can suggest a simple camping battery pack to plug into, or a way to use an inverter, and the exact voltage and specs I need, that would be helpful! I would even take a bundle of AA batteries together if you'll explain how to connect then. It's just for 30min, do I want full brightness but I don't care about it saving power. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 11:30 AM
Easiest way to accomplish this with out any modification is to connect power inverter to deep cycle battery.

200W Inveterter (Continuous load. Not peak load.), 12V deep cycle battery, 12V battery charger.
This set will work out.
Or you can replace battery and charger with just a car and hook up inverter to your car. 30 min of idling engine won't be too bad.

A small portable generator may be a good idea for extended time.
A cheap 2 cycle generator should be enough. Only downside may be engine noise.

Old 02-27-16, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

To use batteries..... you'd put them in series, end to end, until the voltage reaches what you require. That would be 80 AA batteries which wouldn't be practical.

You can use a 12v to 120v converter. They make inexpensive ones you use in a car. You could connect it directly to a car battery. That would be the cheapest depending on what you have.

Too bad you couldn't locate someone with a small gas generator. That would be the easiest.

Old 02-27-16, 11:39 AM
Or if the particular lights aren't critical...there are tons of 12V AC/DC led lamps available now in various sizes and configurations, mostly intended for outdoor lighting. These could be hooked directly to a car battery.

Old 02-28-16, 06:14 AM
Thanks! I will get an inverter and borrow a deep cycle battery. This might be a dumb question, but if I start with a fully charged battery, do I need the battery charger? What is that for during the process?

Unfortunately I won't be able to hook it up to a car.

Old 02-28-16, 06:32 AM
Your inverter will draw on the order of 220-250 watts at 12 volts to supply 175 watts at 120 volts. So for 30 minutes that's only 10 amp-hours. Car type battery can supply that easily. You just need the charger to charge the battery ahead of time.

Old 02-28-16, 06:42 AM
do I need the battery charger? What is that for during the process?
You will need charger to charge battery before and after use. If you are borrowing a deep cycle battery, owner of that deep cycle battery probably has charger too. Borrow charger as well.