Wiring advice for a cabinet oven and cooktop

Old 02-28-16, 01:03 AM
Wiring advice for a cabinet oven and cooktop

I am currently doing a wall oven and cooktop, they want 20 amp services. I am running out of breaker slots, and really hate to use my last two, to wire 2 items in same area when my old range ran off one 240 40 amp breaker. I do fully understand that you can not direct wire two 20 amp 240 volt appliances to a 40 amp circuit since it would not kick until it hit 40 amps. My question, is there a junction box or something that can be placed at the oven to split this on a circuit. Im looking for the cheapest way that would meet code. From what Im thinking I can run the 40 amp service to a 40 amp circuit breaker panel, then do the 2 20 amp dual pole breakers, just hard to get that panel somewhere near the oven etc to meet its requirement of a junction box in area. Kinda pricey to do breaker to a breaker, and not sure this is allowed. Kinda curious if this is done normally or any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-16, 03:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Check the requirements. Not sure if both will run off 20 amps each. Usually the cooktop will be 40 amps by itself. If both require 20 amps, you will have to wire them separately since they are separate appliances. Using both appliances on a shared 20 amp circuit will trip the breaker. Incidentally you will use up 4 slots for this. Was not the original stove wired to the panel via a double breaker? Could you not use that along with the remaining two? If not, you could always install a subpanel off the remaining two slots. If that is a choice, we can walk you through that.

Old 02-28-16, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
I agree, verify your appliances voltage and amperage requirements. If you are unsure please post the make and model so that we can confirm. I have never seen an electric cook top or wall oven that only requires a 20 amp circuit.

As for adding the circuits, use your last two spaces in your main panel to add a sub panel. That will get you all the spaces you need, and more.

Old 02-28-16, 07:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't answer your question, but for the other guys to help:

A single wall oven located in a tall cabinet or under the counter usually only requires a 20amp double pole breaker on #12 cable.

Cook Tops are usually installed on a 30amp circuit, some require 40 but the 30 is more common.