No Ground

Old 02-28-16, 08:31 PM
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
No Ground

I found an outdoor light fixture that doesn't have a ground. What is the best way to create a ground? The light junction box is connected to conduit which is fastened to the patio. I can run a green copper wire through the conduit but that is going to take lots of work to shove it through that conduit.

I researched and read that I can run a copper wire (mounted from the junction box) to the light fixture. This will create a ground?

Thanks

Old 02-28-16, 08:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
read that I can run a copper wire (mounted from the junction box) to the light fixture.
Yes, if the conduit and box is metal and the conduit is continuous to the panel.

Old 02-28-16, 09:05 PM
Hi Ray,

There are two areas.

First area, yes, the light fixture on the conduit is continuous to the wall fixture. I think there is a ground in there but our friend never ran a ground through the conduit.

Second area, no, the conduit is connected with liquid-tight before it reached to the wall fixture (that has a ground).

Please advise on both.

Also, i notice flood light fixture only has hot and neutral wires. There is no ground.

Name:  Flood-Spot-Light-Fixture-_57.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  24.8 KB

Old 02-28-16, 09:29 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
You don't have to run ground wire if it is metal conduit. Just have to connect ground wire to first metal junction box where metal conduit begins. Then the conduit is grounded as well.
Light fixture is grounded through metal junction box.

When metal conduit is change over to non metallic conduit or cable, then again connect ground wire to the metal junction box. Then the ground is continued.

Old 02-28-16, 09:44 PM
Thank you lambition.

I asked because I have bought these LEDs and swapped out the old light fixtures (above).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB12E1C

These have ground wires.

Old 02-28-16, 09:59 PM
L
How did you connect between the junction box and the LED flood light?
You just need to connect ground from that flood light to grounded junction box.

Old 02-28-16, 10:08 PM
The LED light does not come with the normal black, white and green. It comes with brown(black), blue(white) and green.

I wire nut them. I will connect the green as you suggested.

Without connecting the ground wire to the junction box, will that be a hazard?

Old 02-29-16, 06:56 AM
L
Without connecting the ground wire to the junction box, will that be a hazard?
It can be. Inside that light, there is LED driver. In case something goes wrong with LED driver and the case becomes hot, with out ground breaker will not trip and become a hazard.
Also, if you see some youtube video reviews, many of those LED flood lights are not manufactured correctly. Some have ground wire not attached inside lamp, some have hot wire pinched to the case.
Check if ground wire is connected to the case using multimeter. If not, open the case and fix the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: