What should I run for low-voltage wiring?

Old 02-29-16, 10:26 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should I run for low-voltage wiring?

Hi everyone -
I'm in the planning stages of a rewire job to eliminate some K&T wiring in the 2nd floor rooms of my 1929 home. House is two story with basement, and attic space above the 2nd story. Once I rewire, the plan is to blow insulation into the attic - but obviously want to wait until the wiring is done. Second story has three kids bedrooms (elementary school age kids and younger) and a bathroom.

My problem is - once the insulation is blown in there, I may never want to go in that attic again to pull wire. So I've been kicking around the idea of pulling RG6 for cable tv, Cat6 for ethernet, maybe even cat3 and put phone jacks? We don't use a landline - not sure if that's a waste or not. Kids don't have TV's now. The old Linksys 54g wireless router handles our Netflix and browsing needs now. 1000 ft of RG6 quad shielded is about $60, and 1000 ft of cat6 on Monoprice (supposedly well rated cable) is about $125 - figuring connectors/terminations/etc I'd be probably into it for about $250, and have extra supply to cover additional rooms.

Again, I'm debating on whether a little more labor and expense would save a lot of headaches later.

Should I bother?

Old 02-29-16, 10:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Votes on 1,415 Posts
Make sure you get good quality cable especially the coax. Something with a solid copper core and good insulation. Some installers don't want to work with or will not stand behind the work with cheap cable.

I tried to think of everything when I built my house. Unfortunately I'm not as good at predicting the future as I thought I was. Much of the cabling I buried in the walls for future use is now obsolete or still remains unused. Some that I did use of course was in the wrong location. Probably the best thing I did was install the largest conduit I could fit in the walls to connect the basement up to the attic. Then I built a simple catwalk in the attic high enough to be above the insulation. I attached stakes to the attic floor marking key locations like walls and wall intersections so when everything was covered under 24" of insulation it was relatively easy to find things when it was time to drop a new cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: