Location of fused switched spurs in kitchen

Old 03-01-16, 01:57 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Location of fused switched spurs in kitchen

Member is in the UK.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum - so please be gentle with the newbie lol

Problem: I'm having a bit of trouble finding out how far a fused switched spur (or isolator switch if you prefer) has to be from a kitchen sink.

I'm adding in a dishwasher and some under cupboard lighting into a galley style kitchen which certainly wasn't built for 21st century living!

From the information I've gathered it is pretty clear that 'SOCKETS' have to be a minimum of 300mm from a sink unit and 'COOKER SWITCHES' have to be a minimum of 100mm from an electric hob.

Question: Does this 300mm distance also apply to a fused switched spur?

I think it best to sort out this out while I'm still in the planning stage and not just go ahead and fit something just to have it ripped out later.

I've attached a link to a picture of the proposed design to show where I would like to locate the switches for the dishwasher and lighting.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration.


Last edited by ray2047; 03-01-16 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 03:02 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your profile is incomplete so we don't know where you are located. From your terminology, it sounds as if you are in the UK or Australia. Different code regulations for different countries. This is primarily a North American forum, so we are versed on the NEC, which may differ from your location. Can you let us know where you are located?
Old 03-01-16, 08:13 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 29,711
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Larry I just added his location. He is in the UK.
Old 03-01-16, 09:04 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,775
Received 4,121 Upvotes on 3,701 Posts
As far as I can find..... 300mm is not listed in the regs. It's a common sense guideline that is followed there in wiring practices.

I did come across this....
Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. The NICEIC recommends that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are unlikely to be splashed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: