20 amp breaker not resetting.

Old 03-02-16, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
20 amp breaker not resetting.

My electrical panel and system are square d.An electrician found the one 20 amp breaker that would not make good contact with bar where it plugs in.The electrician took out the breaker that would not reset and added it to another 20 amp breaker just below it
It now seems fine.My lights are no longer blinking and it seems ok.Its square d.From what i understand square d can be double tapped like this.I read its the only one that accept double taps.

Old 03-02-16, 03:40 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I detest that term, "double tapped" and prefer it stated as two wires to the same circuit breaker.

No, Square D is not the "only" brand that allows two wires although I don't off hand remember the others. The easy way to tell is if the connection is via a large-headed screw against a pressure plate with a wire groove on either side of the screw shank. You always need to be certain that both wires are the same gauge.

If the connection is via a headless screw in a "cage" that presses the wire into a vee (or a flat in larger sizes) then only one wire can be used.

Old 03-02-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,967 Votes on 2,677 Posts
Also..... depending on what those two circuits are.... you may find that breaker trips when both those circuits are in use as now you have two 20A circuits protected by one breaker.

Old 03-03-16, 06:22 PM
Received 164 Votes on 147 Posts
An electrician found the one 20 amp breaker that would not make good contact with bar where it plugs in
Was this a Square D QO or Homeline series panel? It sounds like a Homeline. If it was a Homeline panel, was the aluminum bus burnt, melted or damaged in any manner?

Old 03-03-16, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 131 Posts
In solving the one issue the tech may have created another issue. Did they check the bus for damage. What circuit did the add the load to? You may now experience tripping on the second breaker.

Old 03-04-16, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is all square d and same size wire
I have been keeping an eye on it.Im down there by it every day

.The electrian that originally installed the system was a good friend.He is retired and I hate to ask him

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: