Question on extending existing circuits...

Old 03-05-16, 07:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on extending existing circuits...

Hello all. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel... I pushed one wall out 2 foot, which means all of my circuits on that one wall, namely the dishwasher and disposal are 2 foot short. These 2 circuits are run with 1 14/3 wire connected in the box to a dual pole afci breaker.

I'd prefer not to rerun the whole circuit from the box to make up the 2 foot. My plan is to run the 14/3 wire to a fan box on the ceiling and connect to new 14/3 wore in that box to expand the run long enough to get where I need to go. Note there will be a completely different circuit in that same junction box. Is this OK, or will it fail inspection. What about of the other circuit is 20 amp instead of 15?

Thanks.

Old 03-05-16, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
There is no issue with two circuits in the same box. The box must remain accessible and all the grounds need to splice together.

A fan rated box is not needed just for the splice.

Old 03-05-16, 09:15 PM
D
Thanks...I did not plan on literally using a fan rated box...I just did not know how else to describe the ceiling box. It will be accessible as I will be hanging a pendant light from it.

Old 03-06-16, 04:30 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Don't tie the neutrals from the two circuits together, just the grounds....

Old 03-06-16, 06:05 AM
D
Yes... That would be bad depending on the phases of the circuits. Thanks.

Old 03-06-16, 06:16 AM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Neutrals from different feed cables or conduits (entering the same box) are never tied together regardless of phase. Hence you may have more than one nutted bundle of white wires in the box.

What, never?

*Way-all" (Well) hardly ever! I have seen (not done), for better or worse, neutrals from two 14-2 powering cables coming up from respective separately located switch boxes (and fortunately on the same branch circuit) and wire nutted to the (same) single neutral tap of a ceiling light/fan set.

Watch your box fill when using the ceiling light box also as a junction box for another group of cables.

Old 03-06-16, 07:14 AM
D
Yes...I have been calculating the box full. Got the largest ceiling box I could and am under the max, but just barely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: