30amp+15amp DIY power bar

Old 03-06-16, 06:11 PM
30amp+15amp DIY power bar

Hi Folks,

My campsite electrical service pedestal only has a single 30amp outlet for the RV. I would like to be able to provide power to my Gazebo ceiling light and a small radio from the area of the pedestal. The External 15amp electrical outlet on the RV is not conveniently located near the gazebo whereas the service pedestal is.

I found an electrical service box online that has 1x30amp outlet (with 30amp breaker) and 1x20amp outlet (with 20amp GFI breaker).

Connecticut Electric Inc - 30A RV PANEL W/ 20A GFCI

So as to not require the campsite owners to change out their standard electrical service box; I am wondering if it is possible (and electrically safe) for me to hardwire a typical 30amp RV extension cable to this box, essentially turning it into a power bar. I would then plug this into the 30amp campsite pedestal and my RV into this box along with my gazebo light.

I need some electrical guidance here.

Although the service box I am adding has an aggregate of 50amps of output between the 2 outlets; I would not be requiring more than 30amps combined. But I am not certain if this box would require me to connect it to a 50amp input or if it ok to use 30amp input. The campsite service pedestal is only 30 amps.

The campground service pedestal is on a downstream dedicated 30amp breaker. The box I would be adding has independant breakers for each of its outlets. Is my thinking correct that with the service pedestal having a 30amp breaker, and independant breakers on each of my box's circuits that there is no risk in me overloading any wires. I am thinking it is no different than if I were to plug the gazebo light/radio into my RV's external outlet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-16, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
That should work or probably cheaper you could use a 60 amp main lug panel. You could put one 15 amp breaker and 30 amp breaker in it. Mount the panel and two receptacle boxes, one for each breaker, on a board. Power to the breaker panel would be a 30 amp RV cord set. Wait for the pros to review my idea.

Old 03-06-16, 07:10 PM
Either idea would be fine. If you use Ray's suggestion, use a GFCI receptacle for the 15 amp circuit.