Issue when replacing dimmer on 3-way switch settup

Old 03-07-16, 02:15 PM
Issue when replacing dimmer on 3-way switch settup

Hi, so I have an odd situation and I am looking for some guidance on. I was replacing an existing dimmer switch that controls 4 flood lights in my 2nd floor hallway. The dimmer switch is located on the second floor, it is an older style round nob dimmer that had a backlight (dimmer would have a slight orange back-light when the hall lights were off). There is a second 3-way switch at the other end of the 2nd floor hall. On the first floor, there are two 3-way switches that also control these second floor lights. Before I replaced the dimmer switch, you could turn the lights off/on by activating any of the 4 switches. I purchased a new leviton 3-way capable dimmer, and I installed it by re-wiring exactly the way the old dimmer was wired. Everything seems to work, including being able to dim the lights...HOWEVER, if the dimmer switch is off, I now cannot turn the lights on from any of the other three switches. Before I replaced the old dimmer, even if the dimmer switch was off (and the backlight was glowing), we could flip any of the other 3 switches and the lights would turn on. Any suggestions????

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-16, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
I installed it by re-wiring exactly the way the old dimmer was wired.
That isn't always the correct way. Position or color of common can vary. You can't use the old switch as a guide except to determine which house wire is common. A second factor is some 3-way dimmers will only work with slaves not regular 3-way or 4-way switches. What is the make and model number of the new switch?

Old 03-07-16, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have a traveler transposed with the common. You can switch the wires two times or less and come up with the correct wiring.

Old 03-07-16, 04:14 PM
Hi Ray, it is a Leviton Model # R62-06674-P0W. How do I find out if it requires a slave? and what is a slave switch and where would it need to be installed?

Old 03-07-16, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Just to clarify..... you have four switches controlling those lights ?
That would mean you have 2) three way switches and 2) four way switches.

Here's the link to the instructions...leviton/servlet/download/6674-P.pdf

Name:  6674.JPG
Views: 2786
Size:  30.8 KB

You will need to determine if the common wire at the dimmer location is always live power or is the lighting load.

Old 03-07-16, 06:19 PM
Thanks all....I fixed it! your right pcboss....the traveler was transposed with the common. swapped them and it all works fine. lesson learned...black wire ISN'T always the common/hot!!!

Old 03-07-16, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Great news..... good job.