Older home wiring question

Old 03-11-16, 03:38 PM
Older home wiring question

I live in a old home half house is wired old other half new well I wanted to know if in the old box if one of the main fuses is blown out will stuff still work because in my son's room half the room works and the other half does not I have checked and replaced the little screw in fuses and have have also checkled the new box and everything is good so could it be one of the big main fuses .. sorry if it sounds funny

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-16, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully the old box is now a subpanel from the new box with breakers. We can determine that later. If all the fuses and breakers are fine, then it will boil down to loose connections either at the last working receptacle, or first non working receptacle. You would need to remove the power from that circuit and test the connections. Having an analog multimeter is a must (usually around $10). If you have any cartridge fuses, they are a little more difficult to test. The multimeter will help.

Old 03-11-16, 03:50 PM
Not sure how anyone on any web site would know how your wiring was run.
One loose wire, one back stabbed outlet causing a loose connection plugging in a space heater causing a burned wire is all it takes.
In older homes there often was no rhyme or reason how the wiring was ran.

Old 03-11-16, 06:40 PM
I know I was just asking is if one of the main fuses was blown could things still run just not all

Old 03-11-16, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
There would normally be two main type fuses. If one was blown.... half the circuits would be out..... not just one circuit.

If you have the ability.... take a few pictures and post them for us so we can better help you.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-11-16, 07:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A blown fuse or tripped breaker will only affect what is on that one circuit. Other circuits will continue normally.

Old 03-12-16, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In some fuse panels, there were two cartridge fuses that acted like main breakers. One could blow and only affect half the circuits, leaving all the edison fuses intact. I think pictures will help.