Releasing wire from push-fit connector

Old 03-14-16, 10:03 AM
Question Releasing wire from push-fit connector

I am trying to remove wires from the LV side of an Osram LED driver, so I can reroute them through a hole. The driver has push-fit terminals (is that what they are called?). When it is inserted the tab locks down and I can't seem to either pull it out, or get something under the tab to release it. Can they be released, or once the wire is inserted is it not easily removed?

thanks

Name:  1-20160315_025439.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  32.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-16, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
With a screwdriver try pushing down on the square that has a diagonal line above the wire hole.

Old 03-14-16, 11:25 AM
I've not seen those particular connectors, but there are two basic types. One type requires that you push down on a release tab or insert a small blade into a release hole. (Have you tried pressing on those double-triangle things?). The other type you just twist the wire while pulling on it. On that type, the wire end should be cut off and re-stripped before inserting into another terminal.

I assume you've checked the directions for the driver for instructions?

Old 03-14-16, 11:56 AM
Sometimes, even with a release tab or a release hole, the wire comes out nicked and needs to have the end cut off and restripped.

Sometimes, if you are not careful, the inside of the hole becomes deformed when you use the release tab or release hole and the next wire inserted does not stay in place.

Old 03-14-16, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
As mentioned... those terminals can be tough to release. Those diagonal lines are where you press with a screwdriver.

Name:  1-20160315_025439.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  19.1 KB

Old 03-14-16, 07:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and pictures. I have tried pushing on the slot and pulling/twisting the wire, but I will give it another try. Also tried to slip something under them, but no deal!

The driver came with a light I purchased, so don't have its original manual, couldn't seem to really find anything online on the Osram site about how the terminals work, but will look again.

They seem to have a pretty good grip, so if that's the case I might cut them somewhere else and re-join.

Old 03-15-16, 06:52 AM
Twisting the wire out usually means snipping the wire end off first with about an inch protruding. You literally try to "unscrew" the wire while pulling on it with a moderate amount of force.

You can also use a back and forth twist but that needs to be about 180 degrees so it is difficult to do if you did not snip off the wire first.

You do not want to force a screwdriver blade in or pry up on something that does not look like it was meant to accept a screwdriver blade. You will surely deform the contact points inside.

Old 03-15-16, 08:48 AM
ok, will try this.

Old 03-15-16, 10:44 AM
Those look like Wago connectors, perhaps 250 series. Here's a link to an overview:

http://www.wago.com/infomaterial/pdf/51230818.pdf

Old 03-15-16, 11:25 AM
Thank you for that! _______________________