Wiring a disposal outlet with switch

Old 03-16-16, 01:46 PM
Wiring a disposal outlet with switch

My last garbage disposal died, and I decided to intall a Waste King. It was supper easy, however when it was time to connect the plug to an outlet - there wasn't one. The last garbage disposal was wired directly to a switch....
Old Disposal
Name:  IMG_6827.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  24.6 KB

After watching countless Youtube video and Goolging for digrams - I felt confident to install the outlet. After many failed atemps, - I cannot seem to get the wiring correct for the switch to work. When plugged in and the breaker is ON, the garbage disposal will run - so at least I know that is working - but the getting the switch work....
Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  24.8 KB
15 amp with 14-2 wire (copper/white/black)

What to I need to get connect the switch to the outlet?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 01:51 PM
The switch breaks the black wire (hot), so place the switch in line on the black. Diagram #1.

Old 03-16-16, 02:02 PM
Old 03-16-16, 02:09 PM
That makes sense, but there are only 3 wires (copper/white/black).

Old 03-16-16, 02:12 PM
Yes, only one outlet is need, would this type of outlet make the 'switch' work?

Old 03-16-16, 02:19 PM
If the old disposal was hardwired and there was already a switch then it should be a simple matter of putting an outlet on the end of the wire that once hooked directly to the old disposal. The switch should turn the power on and off to the new outlet. Just use a regular duplex outlet like you have. It has nothing to do with the switch not working by having a duplex outlet.

Old 03-16-16, 02:35 PM
Hi, pattenp.
Thats what I thought. When I have the breaker On, and the disposal plugged in, it runs non-stop - the switch doesn't turn it off/on.

Old 03-16-16, 02:59 PM
Did the switch turn on/off the old disposal when hardwired? If yes, then what you are saying makes no sense if you wired the outlet to the end of the wires that supplied power to the old disposal. The white should be neutral, black is hot, copper is ground. Diagram #1 is how the wires should connect to the outlet. Did you mess with the wires at the switch?

Do you have a meter to verify that the switch is disconnecting the power at the switch terminals?

Old 03-16-16, 03:08 PM
Yes, the switch turned off/on the old disposal. I havent touched the wires at the switch - I thought that it would be an easy 'wire match the old to the new'. When everything is hooked up like Diagram #1, and the disposal plug is in the bottom outlet, the disposal, runs and the switch dosen't turn it off. I've hit the Re-set button on the disposal, no change. Is there a Re-set button somewhere else?

Old 03-16-16, 03:11 PM
Group Moderator
Off topic, but I'd suggest you abandon the switch and plug in a disposal air switch.

Old 03-16-16, 03:23 PM
I'm stumped. I figured your wiring was like this.....

Name:  2-waydiag.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  13.1 KB

Old 03-16-16, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
The idiots that abound on the net is amazing. No such thing as a 2-way switch but the idiot that did the diagram got it correct. Of course to nit pick neutral should have been gray.

First and most obvious question is do you have power at the switch box? You said the original GD was hard wired so is power at the receptacle box? That would be the simplest way to do it. If so none of those diagrams apply.

IF power does come in at the receptacle box then you need a switch loop. The below diagram shows you how. Note current national code requires a GFCI receptacle.

Name:  x.jpg
Views: 8491
Size:  26.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 03-16-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 05:44 PM
The idiots that abound on the net is amazing. No such thing as a 2-way switch but the idiot that did the diagram got it correct.
Does insulting others follow the being respectful policy? I'll assume you weren't speaking of me for posting the diagram. I didn't analyze the diagram for correct colors or terminology. I just grabbed the diagram off the net to show how I thought the switch was in line on the power feed to the disposal.

Old 03-16-16, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This should have been one of the easiest wiring jobs ever...

In your diagram, why are you pointing out the status of the tabs on the duplex receptacle, did you break them off? Your diagram calls it a "broken bracket"?

Old 03-16-16, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
Sorry Pat I thought the O/P posted the diagram. And yes of course my remarks were aimed at whoever drew it.

Old 03-17-16, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you only have the 3 wires on the receptacle the switch sounds like it failed. There really aren't too many other options.

Old 03-17-16, 04:39 AM
Open the switch box and pull the switch out of the box, remove one wire from the switch,try the Pig now,if it doesn't run than your switch is toast.