Moving/Pulling Doorbell Wire

Old 03-16-16, 04:07 PM
Moving/Pulling Doorbell Wire

I think this is the right spot for this question...

So I'm installing a Ring video doorbell and it can't really fit where my older doorbell was. I don't know how they pulled the wire through the door frame like that for the old doorbell. Is that common?

Name:  2016-03-16 17.01.15B.jpg
Views: 2403
Size:  27.0 KB

What will be the best way to get access to the current wire and move it through the wall to the spot marked above the mailbox? I'm guessing I'll need to take the door frame apart.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 04:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Where is the transformer? Try to trace it backwards.

Old 03-16-16, 05:00 PM
I did that as best I could. I suppose that info might be helpful, huh?

The basement is finished on that side of the house, so I couldn't trace the wire from there without cutting into the finished drywall ceiling. The transformer is (improperly? I thought I read these shouldn't be attached there.) attached to the junction box and the wires go up into the floor joists and I couldn't find them from there.

That's why I was hoping to be able to just move/use the existing circuit where I want it.

Old 03-16-16, 05:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The wiring may have been done before the door was installed. You can abandon all of it & install everything new. That might me the way to go.

Old 03-16-16, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
I thought I read these shouldn't be attached there.) attached to the junction box and the wires go up into the floor joists
Standard method.

Weird looking door trim. Is there a storm door? I'd remove the trim whatever it is. That may give you access to the wall cavity. Once you have access the wire can be spliced in the wall cavity.

Old 03-16-16, 05:17 PM
Yeah there is a storm door, too. Poorly installed... Perhaps this is a chance to fix that as well!

Old 03-16-16, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Odd with that type of siding here you would see 1x4s for the door trim and the storm door on top of it.