Ceiling box extension - does such a thing exist?

Old 03-19-16, 09:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling box extension - does such a thing exist?

We're remodeling our kitchen. We were originally planning on keeping the ceiling as-is with just a new coat of paint. We're shifting the location of the ceiling light and adding a fan/light combo to the new location. I installed a fan-rated ceiling box to a joist in the new location and made the bottom of the box flush with the existing ceiling. Well, we later decided to install 1/2" wood planking on the ceiling, and I'm not sure what to do with the ceiling box now. It was such a pain to install in the first place (very dense wood in the ceiling joists, attic has a lot of blown in installation) that I'm not keen on the idea of removing it and re-installing it. I think I'd have to shift location for starters, and I just would rather not deal with the messy attic installation process. So is there some type of box extension I can use to make up the 1/2" difference to bring the box down flush with the new wood planking? I've searched the big box stores and Grainger.com and haven't found anything so far...

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-16, 10:36 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is it round or octagonal? Is this the kind where the box itself attached to the joist, or is the box mounted to a support rod that runs between joists?

Old 03-19-16, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
An Arlington BE1R will act as a box extension. If you mount a ceiling fan there you might need longer mounting studs.

Old 03-19-16, 11:47 AM
J
It's round and mounted to the side of the ceiling joist. Thanks for the Arlington part number, pcboss. I'll look for one of those.

Old 03-27-16, 12:32 PM
J
Thanks again for the Arlington part number. I have one on hand now and it is going to work perfectly!