Bonus room wiring

Old 03-21-16, 06:55 AM
Bonus room wiring

I am finishing out a bonus room over my garage. In doing so, I had to move about 20 wires coming from the panel in the garage because the wires were all right in the way of the proposed stair case. So, I created a series of junction boxes and spliced new Romex for each wire that needed to be moved. As you can see in the photos, I have run the new extensions along a floor joist of the bonus room floor.

My main question is, will this pass code or do I need to do anything differently?

Should I fasten the new Romex to the floor joist or is it allowable to simply lay in between the joists?

Btw...there are 4 different gauges of wire assembled here: 6, 10, 12, & 14. However, the wire I used to bridge the two sections together all match the original wiring. In addition, the connectors used for each wire is the correct solution for each gauge. So, I feel I should be ok in that regard.
Thanks.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  44.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-21-16 at 08:00 AM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-16, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The cables are not supported properly. The NM needs to be run along a framing member, stapled within 12" of each box, and stapled at intervals of no more than 4.5 feet. Given the large number of cables you will probably want to use stacker staples.

Some of those boxes may have exceeded box fill limits, but it is hard to tell with a wide shot. Those boxes appear to be 4x4x1.5" which means you have a total of 24 cubic inches to work with. This roughly works out to 9 or 10 wires per box assuming #12 cable, and some boxes look like you have up to 12 wires. An easy fix in this case is to add extension rings.

Will these junction boxes remain permanently accessible?

Old 03-21-16, 07:20 AM
Thanks for your reply! I will try to answer each of your points mentioned.

1) So if I install a 2x6 on each side of the junction box and nail/staple each wire to it, that should suffice? And then I would need to continue that same nail/staple pattern between each set of junction boxes by nail/staple each wire to the floor joist where the new wire is currently running? Is that correct?

2) For box limits, when you say 9 or 10 wires, do you mean 9 or 10 individual solid copper wires (so a 14-2 contains 3 wires which means a total of 3, 14-2 wires?) or do you mean 9 or 10 wires each being one complete run of Romex?

3) Yes, there will be permanent accessibility to the junction boxes. Is there any required amount of space for accessibility to the junctions boxes?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-16, 07:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1) Correct on the stapling. The inspector may have a problem with the excess amount of unfastened cable too. If it can't be securely fastened, it should probably be shortened. Along the inside of the joist bays you can use Stacker staples which hold up to 4 cables. Avoid bundling them too tightly at any point. I'd try to make a "ramp" with 2x4 or 2x6 so the cable is not hanging in free air. The inspector could consider that subject to damage (e.g. you could trip on it and jerk it)

2) Box fill is a little complicated to explain, which is why I said roughly. You first calculate "fill units", then multiply by a gauge factor to determine cubic inches of the box.
* all grounds together count as one fill unit
* if the box has internal clamps, that counts as one fill unit
* if the box has a device (switch or receptacle), that counts as two fill units
* each individual wire that enters or exits the box (other than grounds) counts as one fill unit
* wires that do not leave the box do not count (e.g. pigtails)
* wirenuts, crimps, etc do not count

Once you have the fill units counted, multiply by this factor depending on the gauge of the wire:
#14 = 2
#12 = 2.25
#10 = 2.5
#8 = 3
#6 = 5

This tells you the minimum size in cubic inches for the box.

3) The code just says accessible. As long as you can get to it, open the box and work on the wiring, it's ok.

Old 03-21-16, 08:30 AM
That's very helpful! I understand; thanks for you replies!