Wall plate for PVC box?

Old 03-21-16, 01:20 PM
Wall plate for PVC box?

We're coming near the end of a basement renovation, and instead of installing HDMI cable directly in the wall, I instead followed advice to run a conduit that I could pass low-voltage wiring through so it would be more future proof. We used 1" PVC pipe and Carlin 1" PVC boxes for the openings.

I incorrectly assumed that those two screwholes at the top and bottom were the standard wall-plate size, so I could put a standard decora wall-plate in with any kind of pass-through I want (like a recessed or a brush opening). I'm still honestly surprised the PVC box wouldn't follow the same convention as everything else in terms of coverings. My contractor has already installed drywall and everything, so my question is:

Is there any kind of adapter that I could use to attach a regular wall-plate to this opening? Or a wall-plate or covering made for this kind of box? I can't seem to find information on this anywhere.

(After that I need to figure out what to do about this huge opening my contractor has here, unless I can use "jumbo" wall plates to conceal it or have him patch it.)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-16, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
LV cables do not need a box. It makes the bend radius too small. I am suprised someone used a weatherproof box inside.

The opening around the box should be no more than 1/8" by code.

Old 03-21-16, 05:19 PM
Just to be clear, are you trying to screw the wall plate directly to the box? Normally, a device (switch or outlet) is screwed to the box, then the wall plate screws to the device. That recessed pass-thru thing you linked to looks like it mimics a device yoke, so you would fasten that to the box, then screw the wall plate to the pass-thru.

Old 03-21-16, 08:58 PM
What kind of wall plate are you trying to put on?
The spacing is standard even in that water proof box. Any blank cover will fit over it. Since you mentioned decora wall plate, I assume you are trying to put on wall plate with rectangular cut out (sometimes called GFCI cover).
If you are trying to install a outlet or switch cover, it won't work because they are designed to be mounted over the device not the junction box and spacing is different for that reason.

Get a blank cover and drill hole on it.

Old 03-21-16, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
As mentioned... you can use a decora insert like a brush or scoop and then a standard decora plate.

The biggest problem is getting an HDMI connector thru pipe. Hopefully it's large enough.

Old 03-21-16, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by tavor
Normally, a device (switch or outlet) is screwed to the box, then the wall plate screws to the device.
Tavor, I was clearly very confused about all this, and your simple post really made things click for me, thank you. Turns out, those screw holes follow standard convention perfectly.

I have two kinds of wall plates at this point, the first being the kind you talked about, where the inner device goes in, and then provides the screw holes for the wall plate. I also have wall plates where everything is built into the plate, like keystone holes or a pass-through, where the holes are farther apart and line up with the box's screw holes without the device.

Now that I understand this, I see that both of these options work with my box. But the first option allows me to use jumbo-sized wall plates which may help with the shoddy opening, although I think I need to ask my contractor to patch those holes so they aren't so big either way, and I'm disappointed he didn't cut them to be more exact.

Originally Posted by PJmax
As mentioned... you can use a decora insert like a brush or scoop and then a standard decora plate. The biggest problem is getting an HDMI connector thru pipe.
Yes, thank you, I think that's what we will end up doing. Since we used the full 1" pipe, the HDMI fits through quite nicely (it actually routes over to a media closet).

Thank you all for the answers to what I see now was a pretty clueless question!

Old 03-22-16, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just as an addendum with 20/20 hindsight, this would have been a better box to use, with less restrictions as Jim said. Carlon 1-Gang Non-Metallic Low-Voltage Old-Work Bracket-SC100RR - The Home Depot

Old 03-22-16, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion!

Since we were building all new walls, I decided to do a media closet that would have all the components in one place. We ran speaker and ethernet the standard way, but all my research into HDMI made me think the most future-proof and flexible thing would be to run it through a conduit instead of in the wall directly. So we ran a 1" PVC pipe inside the wall, that goes up from the media closet, across about ten feet, then back down to where the TV will be mounted. (And then, just to be thorough, I ran another conduit down from that box to one near the floor.)

I'm wondering now if this is how the pros would do it? Was our solution just crazy or wrong somehow? I feel pretty happy with it, though, except for the original problem of the openings, which I think now should have just been cut tighter. But the HDMI passes through it pretty nicely.

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-16, 02:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Seems like a good approach.

If you hired it out to a low voltage / media contractor, they have the equipment to field-terminate cables on fancy patch panels so they are not constrained by prefab cabling.