reusing old conduit

Old 03-21-16, 01:12 PM
reusing old conduit

I was considering rewiring a couple of rooms. The wiring is circa 1959 in EMT. Is it a poor idea to think I can reuse the existing conduit and what type of issues might I face doing so?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-16, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to reuse the conduit. The old wires might be stuck, requiring substantial force to remove. The insulation fuses to the possibly rusty conduit. You can clean the conduits after the old wires are removed by pulling a rag through using a steel fish tape. Sometimes more aggressive cleaning heads are required if the pipe is badly obstructed.

Issues you might face would be if the conduit is not assembled correctly making a pull impossible, or if the wires are badly stuck and snap in the pipe, or if the pipe has rusted through, cut off or reworked in some previous hidden remodel job. I would not rely on conduit of that age to provide a ground.

All that said, it will probably be ok. I assume these are not very long distances between boxes. Use wire lube when pulling in the new wires as an insurance policy against getting stuck.