A/V junction box - removing knockouts

Old 03-24-16, 05:48 PM
Question A/V junction box - removing knockouts

Hi everyone. I've got a junction box on the second floor where all the video, network, and phone lines are routed (not power). It may have another name besides junction box but I haven't been able to find one. It is the width of a stud cavity (~14"), about 3 feet tall, and 3 or so inches in depth) and fits inside the wall between the drywall sheets.

I want to run a network cable out the bottom through one of the knockout panels and I can't figure out how to remove it. It's not like the typical electrical switch box knockouts. Because the box is installed in the wall between the studs I can't look at it from the sides to see how the knockout is attached. The knockout is about 2 to 3 inches in diameter.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, I'll try to get some but I have to move a bunch of clothes and fuss with the metal panel that covers it and is held on by a bunch of screws.

Does anyone have answers or can point me to where I can research it further? It's a pain without knowing what to call it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-16, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
A picture is always worth a thousand words. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

That is called a structured wiring cabinet. Try to find a similar one in the image search below.
google/search/structured+wiring+cabinet/images.

Old 03-24-16, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
IS it something similar to this?: http://www.amazon.com/Linear-H336-St.../dp/B00BV8C5GW

If it is then KO's should knock out like any other knock out. A sharp rap on a the handle of a flat screw driver should get it moving.

Old 03-24-16, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
sounds like you are dealing with a structured media cabinet.

Old 03-25-16, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the responses. Now that I know it's a structured media/wiring cabinet at least I can call it by the right name. Tolyn, that item you have is almost exactly right - it's the right size but of slightly different design.

So here are pictures. The cover door says "Open House" on it.

Inside with all the video/network wires. I'd like to run a wire out the bottom.

Opened knockouts at the top (sorry for the blurry picture)

Closeup of the two knockout panels on the bottom. They are about 2 1/4" in diameter. I hit one of them pretty hard using a chisel and hammer and it didn't budget. I can't find anywhere to pry underneath one and my maget could not life it out.

Edit to add: it appears to be a H336 ChannelPlus enclosure:
http://www.homecontrols.com/homecont...H3x_Manual.pdf
No mention about the knockouts except "remove the knockouts as needed".

Old 03-25-16, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
That knockout is designed to be pushed in from the outside.

You need to use a skinny screwdriver.... even an old wood chisel...... and tap it in between the knockout and the bottom panel. You'll need to create a space where you can pry the knockout up to remove it.

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  11.2 KB

Old 03-25-16, 09:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Drive a self tapping screw into the ko part way. Grab the screw and twist.

Old 03-27-16, 09:46 PM
PJmax & pcboss, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try when I get a chance. Unfortunately, priorities at home have changed and it'll be a while before I can get back to this project. *mutter*

I'll post an update when I have one for closure and to help anyone in the future who might search this subject.