Ceiling Fan 3-way Pull Switch Replacement

Old 04-13-01, 04:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

PLEASE HELP ME !!!
I have a ceiling fan/light that is controlled by one wall switch. The fan and light are operated independently by using the pull chains (fan has 3 speeds). The light works fine but the fan will not turn on. The pull chain will no longer "ratchet", so I assumed it was the switch at fault. I took the switch apart, with the wires still in the switch and rotated the switch ratchet to an "on" position. The fan worked. I bought a new switch and wired it like I THOUGHT it was wired before, but it will not work. There were 3 wires going to the switch, going into positions 1, 2, and 3. The L position was not being used (I'm almost sure of that). There is a black, blue and red wire. I have black going to 1, blue going to 2, and red going to 3. What did I do wrong?. Also, I pulled the wires out of the new switch since it didn't work, and it was hard to get them out b/c of the way they are secured after pushing them in. Would that damage anything? Can I rewire the switch? My next step is to buy a new fan/light, but I hate to do that since I know everything works fine. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-01, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Unless it's a very unusual set up, the L terminal on those switches is line voltage in, so it is always used. The other three are the outputs for the various speeds.

Old 04-13-01, 04:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Ceiling Fan Switch

There are only 3 wires going to the switch....The fan worked at 3 different speeds.....One terminal did not have a wire....What's the deal????.....I'm lost.

Old 04-14-01, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not having seen what you dismantled, that kinda leaves us stuck. I have assembled _many_ ceiling fans, but cannot recall a configuration that does not use the L terminal on the rotor switch. I have seen one of the other 3 not used, but not the L. It depends on the type of speed control device used by the manufacturer.

When you replace one of those switches, even experienced electricians move one wire at a time from old switch to new switch, because the color coding in those things is quite non-standard, and it's easy to get mixed up.

If it's an inexpensive fan, you may find a replacement worth the hassle factor.

Old 04-14-01, 09:52 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Check http://www.primeline.net/~tait/cfan.html

It shows black (commected to reversing switch and a
yellow wire) to 1, Blue (connects to line) to 2, and Red
to 3.

Old 04-15-01, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I stand corrected. That is a valid, if uncommon, configuration. That diagram should turn the trick for davedeanna.