AC to 12V power supply to run headlights

Old 03-26-16, 09:21 PM
AC to 12V power supply to run headlights

Hi...I want to power up some Car Headlights ....(3 to 4 Sets) ...However I do need a converter and have found some on Ebay... 240V to 12V 60A PSU .....at around US$90

Like this one...
AC110V 220V to DC12V 1A 2A 3A 5A 10A 15A 20A 30A 40A 50A 60A Switch Power Supply | eBay.....

They state for LED Light strips but would the 60A one run a few car headlights ....My limited electrical knowledge tells me it should....AS I understand a Pair of headlights would require about 10 -12Amps ......Thanks for any help ....MK

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-16, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
That is a switching convertor and will run the headlights fine.

Depending on the type of headlight..... your estimate of 10-12A per pair is pretty accurate.
Depending on how long you are going to run the lights..... a 48A load on a 60A supply would be about the limit for continuous operation.

Old 03-27-16, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
The reason they say for LED lights is that the power supply will be clean DC power.
If there are only the incandescent lights on the circuit with a simple switch a 12 volt AC transformer would be fine and a lot cheaper.

Old 03-29-16, 07:13 PM
Thankyou..Exactly what I want to know.....I would appreciate knowing how many pairs of headlights that I could run for say a max 16 hours continuous a day .... I presume the load would be a factor and I think it depends on how they are wired (either Full Beam or Low Beam) ..I have a friend advising me but he has gone AWOL (wityhout his advice I am Lost..) ...I wonder if I could get 4 pairs (8 headlights) powered from a 60A converter... .....of course I may not need this amount .....I want to put in my greenhouse to help my Tomatoes??....Thanks Ron

Old 03-29-16, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
They make bulbs for this that can be used in simple fixtures and would be less expensive than what you want to do.

Old 03-30-16, 08:08 PM
Hi GregH..I am being advised by my friend in Montreal ....and he is unclear what you mean...Thanks Ron

Old 03-30-16, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
He means grow lights either LED or fluorescent.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Hhb2YuKEBMcpvg

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=g...pe=&as_rights=

Honestly headlights sound like something marijuana growers would use in the backwoods when they had no AC power. Never herd of them be used as grow lights.

Old 03-31-16, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Regular headlamps are just incandescent bulbs, either tungsten or halogen for newer bulbs.
You can purchase a halogen lamp that would just plug in without having to re-invent the wheel.

You might want to further research the benefit of having halogen bulbs over specialized grow lights.
Car bulbs as well as any incandescent lamp will throw a fair amount of heat and must be considered.

Old 03-31-16, 11:05 AM
I just bought an 120 VAC LED work light that's painfully bright. If anything it's too bright.

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-922261-20...=LED+worklight

Old 04-01-16, 03:35 AM
Need opinion on this unit....

down light transformer 12v 84VA | Trade Me

Hi..I have found this on the NZ online auction........I welcome an opinion on this ...it says 84VA ...and I am looking for 60A at over double the price ...if these units are 84A I could buy two ...but there must be a catch or is there...Thanks Ron

Old 04-01-16, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
It is only 84va. That is only 8 amps. (Va stands for voltage x amps so 85/12=8) You need about 60 amps according to previous posts.

Why do you still want to use a transformer when the simpler way is to just use 220 volt lights?

Old 04-01-16, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
There must be more to this than meets the eye.
Do you want to use auto bulbs because you have them?

A power supply that reduces 220 volts to 12 is so costly because of the high amperage on the low voltage side.
As said, going to 220 volt bulbs wpuld be the least costly.

Old 04-02-16, 01:09 AM
I am answering my own Question..the down light transformer would not work.....I do not think I am being understood....My plants need light prefably sunlight but if little sunlight IE Growing indoors -one has to produce the same light as the sun ...Light over a full spectrum ...Grow lights do this by using Red and Blue LED's in a combination of aprox 3 to 1.but I have been told one can cover the spectrum with normal bulbs depending on the K frequency of the bulbs..eg incadescent for the low frequency... HID for the higher K .Thats why I chose Headlights because one can hang them...have a range of bulbs one can put in them to provide a "combination of Light" ...If it was as easy as buying a floodlight I would have done it a long time ago ...I only want to provide the right conditions for my tomatoes so they grow fruit and then ripen... I have used 8 x 5 foot fluoro tubes some cool white some warm white ...inside over my plants but I feel there is a better way that will provide a wide spectrum of light . light up the house (or Greenhouse ) and keep me , my plants and my cat warm ....

Whatever method I choose it seems I will require a 240 - 12V power supply ?? Thanks Ron

Old 04-02-16, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Ron,
Thanks for the explanation but we do understand what you are asking.
We often try to offer solutions that go beyond the initial question.
Many here have experience with different technologies and try to offer solutions that may not be initially considered.

You reference "what I have been told" as if it is absolute fact.
It might be a good idea to research the details about lighting and lamp color and how it relates to plant growth.
For example, automotive HID lighting is based on commercial metal halide lighting and only uses Zenon in the bulbs to provide instant light when the bulbs are first energized.
Automotive HID lighting in the mix of what you want to do adds further complication because if you buy an automotive kit it will come with a bare bulb and a ballast but no housing.

If you are determined to use automotive bulbs you need to know exactly what bulbs you will be using.
HID lighting is fairly inefficient and you need to know the current draw for the specific ballast/bulb combination you purchase.

Hope this works out for you.
Post a pic of your tomatoes.

Old 04-06-16, 01:30 AM
Found..2 Server PSU 's but are they 47A...

Hi..Found this today...2 of...Now can I post Photo... Yes but its very small .....Is that a true rating as they (2 of) would give me 94A or 1040Watts ...I need to know before anybody grabs them....Cheers..

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-16, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
What is the information I have circled. I can't quite read it.

Name:  DSCN2086.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 04-07-16, 02:23 AM
Name:  DSCN2085.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  37.5 KBName:  DSCN2088.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  52.7 KBI never realised I do not get emailed when a reply is posted.... I will send another photo immediately...I actually took a gamble and bought the whole unit so will put a photo of it up as well...It occurred to me that even if the PSU's were OK there may be something relavant in the server...Oh yes it cost me $40 but i think that would be really cheap if I get 1150W or 94A from the two of them.....

Old 04-07-16, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Will it work? Maybe. These are switching power supplies for computers (servers) not designed for continuous load of lights. You just have to do the smoke test and see what happens.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-07-16 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-08-16, 01:05 AM
I have my Power Supply ? Now I am really getting strange ideas....

Hi...I saw an LED headlight bulb photograph on our (NZ) online equivilant to Ebay...IE Trademe......and i thought "well I can see the LED's " Are they removable??The bulb produces 6500K from its diodes and the bulb itself fits an H4 headlight ..Are they soldered on ?? .can the LED's be removed and replaced by other LED's with the same parameters apart from colour.. ....if it could be ....why not look for extreme RED LED's with a Kelvin of perhaps under 2000K.. change the LED's in the bulb and plug it in the headlight...but surely it cannot be as simple as that??? Cheers Ron

Old 04-15-16, 12:07 AM
A dead end?

Hi.....Everything has come to a dead end....Apparantly converting 240V to 12V dc is complicated even although I have bought 2 power units rated at 47A ....I cannot understand why LED's are becoming popular as they are not 240V but many are 12V ...Sadly I am too old to go back to school ..The illumination that LED ....car headlights give would certainly light up a greenhouse ..so what I struggle with is ..LED bulbs work in cars from a 12v circuit battery so why is it unsafe etc to power them from a 12v line outside the car..?? and why are commercial growers changing their HPS etc lights and putting in LED's...Phillips for one are spending a lot on LED Growing systems....Wheres my friend when I need him...REgards Ron...

Old 04-15-16, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
LED bulbs work in cars from a 12v circuit battery so why is it unsafe etc to power them from a 12v line outside the car..??
It isn't unsafe. Why do you think it is?