Detached garage Sub-panel Service

Old 03-27-16, 07:30 AM
Detached garage Sub-panel Service

I'm feeding a 60A subpanel for a detached garage from a 200A main panel located within the house. Panel will include some 2 pole breakers for welders, lifts, & a compressor. The garage is approximately 75' away from the house. I have a NFPA 2014 NEC book but thought I could find out quicker on the DIY forum whether a ground rod would be required. Also, Can someone explain the new code related to receptacles in a garage? I plan on installing wiremold 4000 along the wall and I cannot find AFCI or GFCI receptacle compatible wall plates.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-16, 07:36 AM
If your sub-panel will have more than 6 breakers you need a disconnect at the garage. It's easiest to use a main breaker panel to meet this requirement. You also will need to isolate the neutral from the ground at the sub-panel and install 2 ground rods at least 6ft apart from each other if you don't have a ufer ground to use. All the 120V receptacles need to be GFCI protected, no AFCI receptacles are required. You can use a GFCI breaker if needed instead of GFCI receptacles.

The feeder to the garage must be 4 wires, one of which is an equipment ground.

Last edited by pattenp; 03-27-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-27-16, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
If there is water service in the garage that will also be need to be bonded to the ground bar in the panel. The water pope ground (if metal) may replace one ground rod, but that varies in different parts of the country. Check with your AHJ on that.

GFCI protection is only required for 15 and 20 amp, 120 volt receptacles. Things like 240 volt welders and compressors do not need GFCI protection. A GFCI receptacle at the first opening is cheaper then a breaker.

Old 03-27-16, 09:04 AM
The sub-panel has a 100A main. I'll put a 2 pole 60A to feed it from the House panel with 3 #6AWG & a #10 ground? The sub-panel has an isolated Neutral bus however, I have to buy & install a ground bar.

I think I have no choice but to install a 20A GFCI breaker for the receptacles in the wiremold. I cannot find a faceplate cover to covert the GFCI receptacles.

Old 03-27-16, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Your plan sounds good!

Old 03-27-16, 01:27 PM
I think I have no choice but to install a 20A GFCI breaker for the receptacles in the wiremold. I cannot find a faceplate cover to covert the GFCI receptacles.
Depending on the physical lay out, you might consider using a GFCI (outlet or dead-front) just in front of your Wiremold strip-outlets.

Old 03-28-16, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How big are your welders, lifts and compressor? Will more than one person be working at the same time? You might be pushing the capacity of the 60A panel.

Old 03-28-16, 10:33 AM
It's for home use. I doubt I'll have more than two 240V items going at the same time. Maybe the occasional compressor kick-on when 1 lift is operating or I'm welding.

Old 03-28-16, 12:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, sounds reasonable to me.

Old 03-28-16, 07:40 PM
I cannot find a faceplate cover to covert the GFCI receptacles.
No problem.

Large Raceway, 4000 | by Legrand