Running power to remote animal stall questions

Old 03-28-16, 02:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running power to remote animal stall questions

I plan to run power from my shop (100 amp service) to a stall (100' away). There will be 2x 8' strip lights and 1 outlet on this 20 amp circuit. I plan to run 1 1/2" PVC conduit (size of stub outs coming from shop pad) underground to the kennel and metal conduit above ground to the lights, light switch and always hot outlet.

I have two questions:

1.) I assume I need to run a ground wire from the panel in the shop to the lights and outlet since the PVC will not allow to use the conduit as a ground. If I ground the junction box as soon as i transition to metal from PVC, can i use the conduit as a ground from that point forward? (i.e. ground the outlet and lights directly to junction box rather than running a wire)

2.) What size wire do i need to run? Here's the kicker - if it's not too much incremental cost, I'd like to have the capability to add another bay of lights and an outlet to a carport another 100' away (total of 200' to the panel in the shop) later on down the road. I ran the online calculators and they recommend 6 awg THWN-2. I don't like the idea of running wire this big because of the $$ and the thought of trying to connect #6 to a light switch. Am i missing something? Is there anyway around this? If not, I plan on just running 10 AWG THWN-2 and not worrying about the carport.

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry about the long post.

Old 03-28-16, 02:41 PM
L
I should add that this is all 120V.

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-16, 03:06 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
f I ground the junction box as soon as i transition to metal from PVC, can i use the conduit as a ground from that point forward?
Yes.
What size wire do i need to run?
At 100 feet #12 is okay.

You may want to run a multiwire circuit. That is two hots and a neutral. Then you would have two 20 amp circuits. You might want to up size to #10 if there will be any motor loads at the carport since it will be 200 feet. From the stall to the carport would only need to be #12.

Old 03-31-16, 02:41 PM
L
Thanks for your help. How could I add GFCI protection to the both circuits if I wire a multi-wire branch circuit as you recommended? Each circuit (animal stall and carport) will have lights controlled by a switch and an always hot GFCI outlet.

Old 03-31-16, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,333 Upvotes on 2,992 Posts
The "always hot" GFI receptacle would protect the one circuit. Any additional receptacles could be connected to the load side.

You could use a dead front GFI to protect the other circuit if no receptacles were planned to be on that circuit.

Name:  GFI.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  4.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: