How to wire electrical on/off control for electric heat?

Old 03-29-16, 06:00 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire electrical on/off control for electric heat?

Just purchased home and in basement found two on/off controls sitting on a counter & in its place are two very thick wires running to a board w/six 220 volt plugs, I can do regular 110 volt switch's/plugs no problem but this has 4 wires, 2 red, 2 black.....I can see other wires hooked up, but they are black & white, and I have no idea where red wires are connected to, any help greatly appreciated!

Old 03-29-16, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,403 Votes on 1,298 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what you have there and I can't quite tell what you are asking for.
I can't figure out what six plugs has to do with electric heat.
I can tell you a picture of that would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-29-16, 06:09 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Pictures are your friend so we can see what your seeing.

Old 03-29-16, 07:52 PM
L
Received 103 Votes on 90 Posts
found two on/off controls sitting on a counter & in its place are two very thick wires running to a board w/six 220 volt plugs,
Are you referring to a thermostat? What do you mean be 6 220V plugs?

this has 4 wires, 2 red, 2 black
Sounds line 2 pole line voltage thermostat. Which is normally used for 240V baseboard heaters. Normally 2 red are power going to the thermostat and 2 black are power going to the baseboard heater.
Need a model number to confirm.

Why are you trying to work on it? Something is not working?

Old 03-30-16, 10:51 AM
B
I want the electric heat hooked back up, have an idea what board was used for, but no proof. And have no clue which wire(s) I hook up red wires to, laundry room on main floor, not basement, so again I want to take that board down as I have no use for 6 240 volt plugs.....

Old 03-30-16, 10:55 AM
B
That's exactly it, the thermostats that I want hooked back up, again those red wires really confusing me.....As I said 110 no problem for me, this is, & is model number on thermostat? And have to get to work now so will post a cpl pic's later today, & thanks a lot for your advice, it's greatly appreciated!

Old 03-30-16, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,403 Votes on 1,298 Posts
A start would be to turn the circuits off and remove the un-needed 240v plugs.

We still need to know what you have for wiring there and at what location.
I'm picturing two wall mounted boxes with two black wires and two white wires in each box. Possible bare ground wires too.

You have 4 wire thermostats. There should be a model number on them that would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: