three way dimmer "Power Controls Corp"

Old 03-30-16, 12:55 PM
three way dimmer "Power Controls Corp"

The house we've been in for a few years always had the dining room chandelier three-way switch wiring done incorrectly. I finally figured on checking it out today. But one of the switches is actually a dimmer by Power Controls Corp. It has a black and red wire coming out of one side and a black wire coming out of the other side. I figured the black wire without a wire opposite was for the common wire as is typical. The red and black travelers are connected to the other black and the red wire.
Honestly, everything looked right to me. But then it occurred to me that the dimmer wasn't labeled at all and maybe what looks like it should be "common" actually isn't... and that maybe whoever installed it made that assumption, too. I've searched and searched and can't find anything with "Power Controls Corp" probably mostly because it's too generic a name. I've also searched and searched for images of dimmers with similar configurations and came up with nothing.
Is anyone familiar with these dimmers? Is it possible that the common wire is actually one of the two on the same side, even though that's not typical? Barring that, I'll be heading out to buy a new dimmer and switch, but I was just trying to eliminate something simple first. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-16, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with Power Controls Corp dimmers.

If I were to wire that dimmer..... I'd take the red as the common connection. With three way devices...... location of the terminals or the wires on the switch has no meaning. They can be in any order or on any side.

Try the red as common and the two blacks as travelers. You won't hurt anything or create any short.

Old 03-31-16, 03:59 PM
That did the trick, PJMax. Thanks! Now I've saved myself fifteen bucks and a trip to homers.

Old 03-31-16, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know. I'll file that away for next time the subject comes up.