Upgrading to 200amp breaker box

Old 03-31-16, 05:46 PM
Upgrading to 200amp breaker box

We live in a 1992 mobile home, and are needing to upgrade to 200 amp. I am pretty novice when it comes to electrical. I can run wires, change, or add outlet, switches, sockets, and breakers, but my knowledge doesn't go too much further then that. We just had our furnace changed over to electric, and had to give up the spot for the dryer so it will work.
Basically what all do I need to look for and know about upgrading? I am not sure if I will do the work myself, but I would like to buy the parts myself so I can find the best price(s), but I am not sure what I am looking for beside an interior 200 amp breaker box.

Also I am needing to know how to find a bad ground. We have one line that isn't working, and I used one of those plug-in gauges, and it read a bad ground.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-16, 06:15 PM
What size is your existing service (main circuit breaker rating) and what is the kw rating of the new electric furnace? Just because you are out of breaker spaces does not necessarily mean you need a larger service. Depending on the make and model number of the existing circuit breaker panel you MAY be able to use tandem CBs in a few spots and that would free up space for the clothes dryer.

The "bad ground" may actually be a bad neutral if the receptacle seems to have no power. Give us the full story of why you tested this particular receptacle and one of us can further advise.

Old 03-31-16, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a demand load calculation should have been done before the switch to see if the service will handle the higher load.

Old 03-31-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Also I am needing to know how to find a bad ground. We have one line that isn't working, and I used one of those plug-in gauges, and it read a bad ground.
Grounds have nothing to do with a circuit working. They are safety only. An analog multimeter is a more accurate test. As Furd wrote the plug-in tester can give false results.
I would like to buy the parts myself so I can find the best price(s), but I am not sure what I am looking for beside an interior 200 amp breaker box.
Most electricians won't agree to that. When I was first doing home repair I agreed to that with a few customers and end up the wrong materials even when I gave them a written list. You aren't likely to save much on parts especially with electric work.