Home made, high reach inspection camera... few questions

Old 04-01-16, 10:10 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home made, high reach inspection camera... few questions

I need a high reach inspection camera to inspect gutters before during and after clearing with a high reach vac. To cut a long story short Ive tried everything bar the very expensive and all has failed, not afraid to invent crazy things I think the obvious cheap solution is.. 12v monitor, camera, light, dvr and battery (and high-reach window cleaning poles). Im half way there just need to wait for the dvr box to arrive and solve a couple of issues...Name:  DSC_0005.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  48.5 KBName:  DSC_0014.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  44.7 KBName:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  51.5 KB
All components very cheap and replaceable and work well. One of the cameras will be replaced with a different camera with much closer lens.

I have scrimped a little too hard on cable tho..cheap video cables with too many junctions. I would like to use a multi-core cable for all power and video but need a few questions answered as usual.
There's lots of trailer cable on ebay (7 core from memory)

Can i run video down 15meters of this kinda cable and expect a good image? (There would be max 2 soldered connections) The current cheap 2xrca audio cable im using gives an acceptable image with some interference.
or
Can anyone see a better option? need 2 x video 1 x power for light (12v 10w) 1 x power for cameras 1x earth. and needs to be 15meters+ as lightweight as possible and not cost the earth.

Not your usual thread here but if anything springs to mind as you read please share

Old 04-01-16, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Why a light and why a DVR ?

You can send the video output from a camera right to the monitor.

Old 04-01-16, 10:47 AM
W
It needs a light for sections that are shaded / overhung by anything, the light comes in really handy. It only NEEDS a dvr because we have customers used to us providing before/after shots (previous solution was a usb endescope and tablet pc) but a dvr comes in very handy all round especially where roof/guttering defects are spotted.

Both units cheap as chips on ebay so why not in my opinion.. adds a lot of functionality & we do alot of gutter clearing.

Any ideas on cabling PJ?

Old 04-01-16, 10:54 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The low-cost video cameras that I am familiar with use 12 volts DC for power. You can buy "siamese" cable that has both a coaxial cable (for the video component) as well as a two-conductor power cable fused to the coax. Depending on the combined power draw of the light and camera this may allow for both camera and light operation. I would not attempt to use non-coaxial cable for video signals UNLESS you have a "balun" at each end to convert the video signal to one compatible with twisted pair cable. I see no reason to have an "earth" conductor.

Unless you are going to provide the homeowner/business owner with a before/after video of the gutter condition I agree with PJ that the DVR is unnecessary.

Please complete your profile and include your location. By the terms you have used I suspect that you are not located in the United States.

Old 04-01-16, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
The trailer cable will not work for you and it is very heavy.

Your only critical cable is the video cable. You need use a dedicated video cable..... or good shielded audio cable there.

With that short of a run you should be able to use a better 2X RCA cable..... one half for video and one half for camera power.

I think I'd run a good single RCA cable for the video and two conductors of wire for the light and camera power. #18 would probably be ok for the DC power.

Old 04-01-16, 11:00 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I'd be looking at one of the fairly inexpensive quadcopter drones with video capability. Couple hundred bucks will get you an easy to fly unit with real time video. Way less work and way more fun than camera on a big stick.

You can rent the service to your neighbors and recoup your cost quickly.

Old 04-01-16, 12:46 PM
W
I like the idea of a drone but we work in all weather and need steady close up images at times... it'd get crashed a lot. Its worth noting the main reason for wanting a "camera on a big stick" solution, is we have thousands of pounds worth of big sticks in varying lengths perfect for the job and always in the van.

Im only £50 in so far, can still speand a few quid and it remain a cheap alternative. I will look for a good 15m 2xrca cable and also look at siamese coax.. sounds good

Thanks for the replies

Old 04-01-16, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Siamese coax will give you an RG-59 coax and a two conductor #18 cable. Nice because it's combined.... not the most flexible.

Old 04-01-16, 05:02 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Another option would be a wireless camera or an Ethernet cable. You could run power to save on batteries, but wouldn't need coax. Cat 5/6 for Ethernet or nothing for wireless. They have plenty of range to reach from roof down to ground.

Old 04-04-16, 01:17 PM
W
It has done a days work now and made a few changes. have made a pole-grip for the monitor and put the whole battery box in a shoulder bag.. works well.

I would like to look at the wireless route ie; wireless transmitter and battery with cameras at top of pole, wireless receiever at monitor. For that I am happy to dismiss the light, the one ive used is abit heavy anyway.

So.. how do I accomplish that? even the smallest 12v battery is quite big no? Will these reversing cameras run off less voltage? I have a broken Asus tablet with a big battery that I could use but that'll be 3.7v. Ill do some reading next time Ive got a free hour but if there is an obvious solution anyone can see please share... cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: