Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Remove electrical service to detached garage, power from main box at house?

Old 04-01-16, 11:54 AM

Hi I purchased a home this year that has an over-sized detached garage, I wonder if the previous owners did mechanical work out there because Nat Grid has it zoned Commercial, and has a meter on the garage separate from the house. It only has rows of florescent lights out there now, but in the future maybe I would run a mini fridge or some power tools here and there.

It's costing me $20/mo just in delivery fees to power the garage, last month I only turned the lights on twice. I don't use it enough to justify the cost.

The breaker box in the garage looks like a full size, main breaker box. I can attach pics if it would help any.

Is it feasible to cancel service to that meter, and run some sort of conduit to power the garage from my main breaker box at the house?

If so, it something you guys could help walk me through doing? I'm handy and have a solid beginners grasp on electrical that I'm trying to improve. Or is it a pretty involved process

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-16, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Is it feasible to cancel service to that meter
It should be. In fact at $20/month I'd have already at least cancelled service. However you need to call the electric company and ask them to remove the drop and the meter. You also need to check with the authority having jurisdiction regarding converting the power to the garage and if they issue home owners permits.
something you guys could help walk me through doing?
Yes. It shouldn't be too hard. You already have half the job done. We will need to know what size main panel at the house and if it has unused spaces.

Old 04-01-16, 12:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending on the expected loads in the garage and the existing panel you may be able to run a feeder from the house.

You can search subpanel on this forum for the basics. It is a common desire.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-01-16 at 12:18 PM. Reason: subpage>subpanel
Old 04-01-16, 12:23 PM
Not that complicated or difficult and folks here can certainly talk you through it. You would essentially convert the main panel in the garage to a subpanel connected to a breaker in the house. Won't be much cost involved except for the permit and wire from the house to the garage, plus a couple of ground rods if there aren't any (should be). How far is it? Is the existing feed to the garage overhead or underground? Utility may charge a disconnect fee, but at $20 a month won't take you long to recoup all the costs.

Old 04-01-16, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys. That is good to hear. We have two poles on the property that bring power in, I don't think anything is underground. I believe there is already a rod there. It's quite a ways, offhand I'd say maybe 50 yards.

I'll post a picture of the box and then do some searching around on both the permits and on the forum regarding subpanels before trying to move forward. Thanks!

Old 04-02-16, 06:44 AM
Zoning

I would also investigate the economics of having the garage re-zoned from commercial to residential. Could be some property tax savings.