Gentron generator & transfer switch questions

Old 04-06-16, 02:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gentron generator & transfer switch questions

I have the Gentron GG10020 8KW running (10K peak) generator. I have a Square D Homeline load center.

I want to be able to safely switch from Utility power to Generator when needed. The generator does not have GFCI breakers, but is neutral bonded. I know I can use Reliance Controls XRC1003C transfer switch, but I don't need extra breakers. My questions are:

1. Can I use Reliance Controls TCA1003D Transfer Switch?
2. Should the generators ground be tied to utility ground or separately grounded?
3. I would rather use Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters in the Homeline load center. Are there any issues?
4. I would like to have individual CFCI outlets in the kitchen/bathroom areas. Any issues?

Thanks In Advance

Walter

Old 04-06-16, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just addressing the generator issues.....

That transfer panel you linked to requires you to move the circuits, that you'd want the generator to run, from the main panel to that disconnect panel. Is that what you want to do ?

The other alternative is to use a main transfer switch. That usually requires power company intervention to pull the meter to install the switch. That switch transfers the entire house to the generator. (this is what I use for my generator)

The generator gets connected to the transfer panel or transfer switch with a four wire cable.... which includes the ground.

Old 04-06-16, 05:57 PM
W
My understanding is that the TCA1003D is either Service Entrance Equipment or sub-panel certified. I was going to put it before the breaker panel.

Old 04-07-16, 08:29 AM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
What is your service entrance size?

The TCA1003D is rated for 100 amps from the service or from the supra-panel (feeding panel) and 30 amps from the generator.

So you cannot use it as a whole house transfer switch, say, for a 150 amp service.

Old 04-07-16, 07:06 PM
W
Utility service is 100A... it's my weekend dacha

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: