Re-Wire Florescent Lights

Old 04-09-16, 06:59 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Re-Wire Florescent Lights

Planning to convert the rest of my garage lights to LEDs if it ever warms up and was wondering what kind of wire to buy.

I read on here inside the fixture you can use smaller than #12 with special insulation to the tombstones, unfortunately I don't have a clue what the correct terms are to search in Amazon.

I'm guessing maybe #18 with whatever rating?

Thanks

Old 04-09-16, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Size of the fixture wires will depend on the load. LEDs will have a very small load so 18ga copper is OK and the minimum size allowed. max amps on 18 ga is 6 amps.
TFN is a listed fixture wire with a 90 degree rating and is similar to THHN in construction. Technically you can only wire fixtures with wire listed in table 402.3. THHN may have a multi rating which also lists it as TFN but that would need to be confirmed.

https://www.encorewire.com/wp-conten...eWire-TFFN.pdf

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 04-09-16 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 07:48 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I've found it is impossible to find #18 solid in anything less than a 500' reel on the internet, I thought it would be so easy.

Took the cover off one light yesterday and there is more than enough wire on the old ballast that I can use so I'm good to go. Lights arrive tomorrow.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: