Circuit Wiring

Old 04-11-16, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Circuit Wiring

I am trying to shut off the feed to receptacles in a room. I have thrown every breaker and the receptacles are still live. The house was built in 1948. There are no subpanels.

Any ideas as to how this could occur?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-16, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
I have buddy who has a receptacle in his house which seems to bypass his meter and circuit panel. Never heard of a whole room like that.

Have you thrown the main breaker yet?

Old 04-11-16, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Ideas, in order of likelihood:
* You may have two circuits that have been inadvertently interconnected. Turning off one breaker at a time will not de-energize the circuit. Turning off the Main should remove power.
* Bad breaker, stuck in the on position even though the handle is off. Same deal for a penny in a fuse socket.
* You may have another fuse or breaker panel somewhere, perhaps hidden in an illegal location like a closet, crawlspace or attic. Maybe hiding on the outside of the house.
* Unusual panel configuration like split-bus and it is not obvious what you're turning off.
* Stand-alone house, or duplex/rowhouse/etc? Possible interconnection with neighoring unit.
* Previous owners were stealing power and there is an illegal bypass somewhere in the service entrance.