240v line and grounding for pool

Old 04-14-16, 04:07 PM
240v line and grounding for pool

I have an outdoor pool pump system that is fed by a 240V conduit with two hot black wires and a white (I presume this is a neutral and not ground). The conduit itself is plastic, so it isn't grounded. Can I use the white wire as a ground in my electrical connections?

Alternately, what is the best way for me to ground the system? The pump itself has a heavy duty external bonding lug, an extremely heavy gauge wire is connected to the lug and runs into a pipe inside the wall. With that connected, can I consider the entire system sufficiently grounded or do I still need to find a way to ground the electrical connections separately?

This is in the United States, incidentally.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-16, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Normally a 240 volt set up requires no neutral, but if you have electronics involved you will need it, PLUS a grounding conductor. What connection does the white wire have at the pump and at the panel? Maybe a picture or two would help us understand what you have.

Old 04-14-16, 05:09 PM
Group Moderator
Can we assume this is a built in pool with a permanent power connection to the pump and not a plug in ?

The large lug on the pump bonds the pump to the pools metal infrastructure which leads me to believe it's an inground pool.

You cannot remark the white wire green and use it for ground. You will need to pull an additional wire in the pipe or use the white wire to pull in a new green wire.

Old 04-14-16, 05:18 PM
Pools and fountains have some VERY specific requirements that are covered in Article 680 of the National electrical code. I personally do not think that this is a DIY job but at the very least I suggest that you read Article 680 throughout BEFORE doing anything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arti...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Old 04-14-16, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Furd, pools are not a typical diy project.

Circuit grounding and bonding are for two different purposes.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-14-16 at 07:39 PM. Reason: a ND>and
Old 04-17-16, 01:30 PM
OK, thanks all. I'll call in an electrician.