Question about Strip Length for Wire Nut

Old 04-16-16, 09:50 AM
Question about Strip Length for Wire Nut

I just bought 3M Performance Plus wire nuts. Most of the instructions that I've seen say to strip the wire 1/2-5/8 in. I noticed that these say 3/4 in which seems long to me. Is it okay to use the normal 5/8 in? It's #14 wire.

This is kind of an unrelated question, but is it bad if the copper is rough? The switches that I'm installing have built-in pigtails, not screws on the sides. I've removed the connections and straightened the loop with my linesman pliers. In doing so, it seems that the copper is no longer smooth. I wasn't sure if that makes the conductor brittle. I have some extra length, so it may be better to re-strip the wires.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-16, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Is it okay to use the normal 5/8 in?
Yes, That should be fine as long as the wires are contact with each other.

The wire does not need to be smooth to make a good connection.

Old 04-16-16, 11:11 AM
I have a dumb followup question. I am probably overthinking. The new switch that I'm installing has a pre-stripped pigtail. It says that no stripping is required. The stripped length is 7/16". I have my wires at 5/8". Do they need to be the same length? If not, how do I connect them? Should the ends be even with each other? Is it okay for insulation to touch the bare wire? I've included a picture so you can see what I mean! Thanks in advance for your help.

Name:  IMG_1374.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  24.6 KB

Old 04-16-16, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Should the ends be even with each other?
Yes, the wirenut will grab the wire then.

Is it okay for insulation to touch the bare wire?
Yes, The insulation is always touching the wire. It is covering its entire length.

Old 04-16-16, 12:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The stripped length is 7/16". I have my wires at 5/8". Do they need to be the same length?
As Tolyn said, yes. Just get in the habit of trimming wires a little when doing your connections.

I strip solid to solid wires the same length always.
For solid to stranded, especially small stranded wires, I strip the stranded wire a little longer.

Forgot to add: You will go far being conscientious like this

Old 04-16-16, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just match the wires at the stripped end. The insulation touching is not an issue.

Old 04-16-16, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Just as an aside here..... the manufacturers are very thoughtful to pre-strip the wires for you but they are never stripped far enough.

Old 04-16-16, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
the manufacturers are very thoughtful to pre-strip the wires for you but they are never stripped far enough.
I agree 100%
----------------

Old 04-16-16, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe wrong but when i have stranded fixture wire smaller than #14 I strip off about an inch of insulation and wrap it in a spiral from bottom to top of the house wire.