Is my electrical box fan rated ?

Old 04-16-16, 04:32 PM
Is my electrical box fan rated ?

So, I have a light on my porch on my 2005 home that I want to put a ceiling fan in. The box says it supports up to 150lb fans (and mine is <25lbs) when attached properly, but I can't really see how it is attached. I put the new bracket on (black in the photo), and can almost hand from it with my bodyweight (~150lbs), but am not sure how to really see that it is installed correctly. Oddly enough, it seems to be running along side a joist (I just repaired a bunch of failed drywall tape and some was under the light fixture).

The large screws that I re-used in the box to attach the black bracket extend past the ends of the electrical box.

Pics:
Ceiling electrical box - Album on Imgur

Just want to be very safe, thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-16, 05:05 PM
Hmm, it seems that this is the electrical box, and from what I can tell it is mounted by those nails:

Pass & Seymour S1-20-JFAN SlaterĀ® Round Ceiling Fan Box; 4 Inch, 20.25 Cubic-Inch, Auto Clamps Mount - Crescent Electric Supply Company

EDIT: Oh, it does say it's fan rated as long as I use the included 10-32 screws, which I did!

Confirmation?

Old 04-16-16, 05:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The specs say that it will hold a fan. It shouldn't be a problem but wait for Ray to respond.

Old 04-16-16, 05:32 PM
I think you're good. You said you could almost hang from it. As long as it's secure and the fan does not vibrate (not the same as a wobble) and it's fan rated you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-16-16, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Box says it is rated to support a fan, your good. They throw in the "when attached properly" just cover everything. You used the correct screws so it is "properly attached".

Old 04-16-16, 06:03 PM
Side note: Any idea why this was the wiring layout?

2 White wires from ceiling twisted together -> 1 White wire from light fixture.
1 Black Wire + 1 red wire twisted together -> Black wire from light fixture.
Ground.

Old 04-16-16, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
2 White wires from ceiling twisted together -> 1 White wire from light fixture.
1 Black Wire + 1 red wire twisted together -> Black wire from light fixture.
It was probably wired with a 3-conductor cable so if you use a ceiling fan you can have separate switches. One for the motor, one for the light. Confirm by checking the switch box.

Old 04-17-16, 07:50 AM
Hmm, well the switches in my house for the porch lights are on a 3-switch plate. One switch does porch lights, one does inside lights... no idea on third switch, but throwing it doesn't make my electricity detecting screwdriver fire at the drop on the ceiling. It does fire when I turn on the porch light switch though.

Old 04-17-16, 12:05 PM
Group Moderator
Hmm, well the switches in my house for the porch lights are on a 3-switch plate.
No, a 3-gang plate. 3-way refers to a type of switch and its circuit.
but throwing it doesn't make my electricity detecting screwdriver fire at the drop on the ceiling
Non contact testers are not a reliable way to check for voltage. You need to remove the switch plate and check the wiring. Is there a red wire connected to the mystery switch?

Old 04-23-16, 03:07 PM
Yes, it does seem that the red wire goes to that second switch.

I was reading on another forum that I might only be able to do one switch because my ground wire is bare copper. So I have: Red, Black, 2 white, and a bare copper wire. Does it being bare mean I can only ground one thing to it and I would have to have the wiring re-run to use it at all?

I JUST painted this ceiling, so I am not really into tearing it all down, lol.

Old 04-23-16, 03:17 PM
Ah, nevermind.

I have 2 of everything (one black/red, white, copper) coming out of 2 separate white sheaths. For some reason, they clipped one of the ground wires and clamped it to the one they left long. So I should be able to separate them and use them individually. I should do this, right?

Old 04-23-16, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
So I should be able to separate them and use them individually. I should do this, right?
No....you should not. The ground wire from each cable needs to be combined to form one splice where your fan will also connect.

If the one ground is long and the other one is short.... you can use a green wire nut to combine them and then the fan connects to the single lead.

Name:  green.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  1.6 KB Name:  index.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  2.3 KB

Old 04-23-16, 03:58 PM
Perfect, thank you so much!

Last (hopefully) question. After more digging I found ANOTHER wire. Broke out the ol' multimeter and here is what I actually have

Bundle 1:
Black
Red
White
Ground

Bundle 2:
Black
White Ground

Originally, Red and Black were twisted together with the other black just covered with a cover in the box. Both whites were twisted together as well. This is because, once separated, the other porch light will not work, so it's chained in.

So, the one bundle that has both the once twisted Red and the terminated black are the switches in my house.

I will use the Red for the lights and the currently covered Black for the fan.

The question:
Would I keep all whites attached together and just add 2 more to that twist, making it 4 twisted together? Is there a better setup?

EDIT: Helps to check everything before posting, right? Ceiling fan has a built in light kit, so it's just one white wire to the connection anyways, lol. So 3 wires, just like before.

Old 04-23-16, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yes......you can your additional neutrals to that neutral/white splice.

Old 04-23-16, 04:19 PM
Thanks! Once I get my second coat of paint on the ceiling I'll be so glad to get this hooked up