Timer switch

Old 04-17-16, 11:28 PM
Timer switch

Im trying to get a timer switch to work. This switch was always in this location however i relocated a 3 way switch from this box. In doing so i needed to steal the 3 wire wire going from a light to this box this wire originally supplied the neutral. So now this circuit has no neutral. This circuit still has the original hot wire from the light going to this switch. Then a 2 wire goes out to 1st light then a 2 wire goes out from first light to a second light, neither of these lights was the supply for the hot or original neutral wire. These 2 wires are neutral and hot going to the lights. Now i have access to the wire between the 2 lights. Im wondering if it would work to put in a junction box and splice in a neutral between the 2 lights?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-16, 12:10 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Very hard to understand what you are doing. You took the neutral from the three wire cable.... so how is neutral getting to the lights ?

Old 04-18-16, 12:11 AM
Group Moderator
The neutral and the hot must be in the same cable. You can't just grab a neutral. I am really having trouble following what you wrote. So let's try this again.
Does the timer control a light?
Is there only a single 2-conductor cable at the light?
Are you saying there is no power in cable at the switch?

Can you post picture of the wiring at the light and the switch. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 04-18-16, 10:04 AM
See theres 2 indoor garage lights attached to a 3-way switch. 2 out door lights connected to a timer. The 3-way switch was in a very odd location so im trying to relocate it.

Name:  20160418_101829.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  20.1 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 04-18-16 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Rearanged diagram.
Old 04-18-16, 10:10 AM
So originally there was a 3way wire from light to switch. That was hot, neutral, and switched hot. When i relocated the 3 way i lost neutral. I was wondering if i could take it from the inside light that supplies power to the outside lights but just hook up the neutral to the wire between the 2 outside lights as i can't get wires to the switch.

Old 04-18-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
You need to find a source for power for the lights controlled by the timer such as a nearby receptacle and run a 2-conductor cable to your switch box where the timer is. The new power source must be grounded and not on a restricted receptacle circuit such as kitchen or bath receptacles. Grounds of both circuits will be connected together in the switch box but no other wires.